Dead yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe so. Although it's possible to test yeast, I never did so prior to use. You should rehydrate yeast prior to pitching. When doing so, it will become apparent whether the yeast is active.

What might make it a problem to use? The only thing I can think of might be if it was stored poorly and the yeast was infected with bacteria that might add off flavors or sour flavors you did not want. If the yeast is alive and if it ferments sugar then all other things being equal, I would be OK using it.

Hello. According to other threads here yeast is only good for a year or so. I've already put mine in. I got a very vigorous fermentation.

Have I got lucky? Could there have been enough good yeast in there to develop to a usable quantity?

To be safe should I rack and begin the primary fermentation again with fresh yeast?

It shall I just carry on? It's still bubbling away nicely.

Hello. According to other threads here yeast is only good for a year or so. I've already put mine in. I got a very vigorous fermentation.

Have I got lucky? Could there have been enough good yeast in there to develop to a usable quantity?

To be safe should I rack and begin the primary fermentation again with fresh yeast?

It shall I just carry on? It's still bubbling away nicely.

If, indeed, it’s the intended yeast that’s conducting your fermentation, then you’re golden!! Scary part, is there’s no way to know, but I have a hunch that it’ll be just fine.

If, indeed, it’s the intended yeast that’s conducting your fermentation, then you’re golden!! Scary part, is there’s no way to know, but I have a hunch that it’ll be just fine.

Thanks for the reassurance. I was using enough yeast for 25 litres in 4.5. so I'm hoping it's fine and there was enough living yeast. Chances are I'll tell during tasting. It smells ok at the moment.

Thanks again

Yeast are viable for far longer than a year.

I took 18 months off from wine making, and I’m still using the yeast I had bought before then that’s stored in my fridge. No issues.

THE SHELF LIFE OF YEAST WILL BE A FUNCTION OF THE log OF THE TEMPERATURE
According to other threads here yeast is only good for a year or so.
. I would not be afraid to use a yeast which has been stored for ten years in a refrigerator and have used refrigerated packets which were two years past code date.
. I would have second thoughts about using a packet which was forgotten for a summer week in a car in ElPaso or Miami or LosAngeles.

Code dates are designed for what is called “room temperature” and give some safety factor if the customers warehouse or truck line or home is on the high end of comfortable.

Shelf life labels are normally conservative. Companies don't want unhappy customers AND putting a earlier date on a package increases the chance that the customer will toss an "old" package and buy more. (After all the store and the customers are the only ones who stand to lose any money on the deal

In general the entire realm of dates on packages is EXTREMELY vague. There are vitually no federal laws about defining what those terms and dates mean and the states certainly don't agree. (I've done some research on this topic and it's downright crazy out there)
Best By
Use By
Use Before
Expiration Date
etc

SO.... bottom line, with something like yeast in a sealed packet not much to lose other than some time. If you didn't get fermentation indications in 36-48 hours pitch more, fresher yeast. BUT it sounds like you are doing fine.

Latest posts

Back