Dead vines came back to life, but....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mgoldy

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I bought a handful of vines 2 yrs ago and didn't water them over the winter so they died. This year they came back to life, BUT the new growth is from below the graft. Are they still good (merlot, pinot noir, and frontenac), or are they "something else"? No fruit obviously, but about 2ft. of new growth. What should I expect to get?
Would pictures help?

It is hard to tell from the picture. I have a grafted Chambourcin that is definitely root stock and not the true vine. I can see the difference a mile away. Mine is coming from above the graft; I assume the grafted vine died and all I have is root stock for that vine.

I assume you don't have anything to compare. Perhaps take the leaves and compare to pictures or to vines from a local vineyard. If the vine is coming from below the graft, it is an excellent chance they are all root stock.

Frontenac shouldn’t have been grafted so it should be okay. Merlot and Pinot noir - if they were grafted, then the new growth is from the root stock.

Back