Dead Leaf Bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbw

Reaction score
Ok, to prove you can teach an old dog a new trick, er, bottle description ...

I was describing a particular wine bottle, with a particular shade of green to a friend ... and he said, "Oh, you mean a Dead Leaf Bottle."

Say what?

"A Dead Leaf" bottle.

No, I mean a burgundy bottle that is kind of an light "army" green ..,

Right, "a dead leaf" bottle.

I didn't really believe him ... so I googled "Dead Leaf Bottle"

And I learned a new wine bottle term.

Go figure.

Am I the only one who didn't know this bottle was called a "dead leaf" bottle?

I have heard of them many times. Im not positive on this but I believe there are 4 shades of bottles in the green color. They range from Green. to Dead Leaf Green, to Dark Olive Green to Dark Antique Green.

We recycle commercial wine bottles from several restaurants and sort our "stash" according to colors ... and I knew there were various shades of green ... but didn't know the industry standard name was "dead leaf."

Kinda funny. I wonder how it got started ... probably from some guy like me who said "you know, that bottle that is that light shade of green, kind of an army green, but not really ...

"No," someone said, "It's more like a dead leaf green."

And it stuck

Gotta look around and see what the other standard color names are.

I mean, I gotta be able to talk the walk if I'm making wine.

Also saw from my google search) that a large supplier of dead leaf wine bottles was a Chinese company ... not that there's anything wrong with that.

thats what i love about this sight, im always learning something, just hope i can rember at least half of it:)

Latest posts

Back