Deacidification of Grape wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunatly i dont think my mlf will survive my wine at a ph of 3.

Unfortunatly i dont think my mlf will survive my wine at a ph of 3.

Have you fermented it yet? Fermentation will raise the PH a couple points. Wine freshly fermented will have a lot of carbonation that will throw your PH meter off.

Ya fermentation is complete, been racked, ill see what it tastes like after cold crashing, i tasted it before and it was quite acidic.

So im back in business, after adjusting the ph up to 3.2 i was planning on re-pitching some yeast but no need, shortly after correcting the ph the rennsance vivace yeast i pitched a few days ago took off like crazy like i just released its shackles. This yeast should eat 30% of the malic acid and prepare it nicely for mlf.

the rennsance vivace yeast i pitched a few days ago took off like crazy like i just released its shackles.

Probably because that's exactly what you did!!

When parameters are in line prior to pitching yeast, AF is almost a no brainer. When we start with a BRIX to achieve our desired ABV, select a yeast that can handle the ABV, keep the temps in range, make sure the pH is in range, provide nutrients as needed, we can just let Ma Nature do her thing.

For the most part, kits take all most of the variables out of the equation, other than temps, not so with fresh fruit and some juice buckets. Testing and correction is important, not checking the numbers is foolhardy. Let any one parameter get out of line, struggles may ensue. Sometimes hard to start, sometimes hard to finish, sometimes producing H2S, sometimes too slow, sometimes they may go just fine. We just need to help the juice get out of the way of the yeast so it can do its job, the juice wants to be wine, and the yeast wants to appease the juice.

Congrats on your success, keep posting your progress, hope it turns out great!

Latest posts

Back