de Lime on de Coconut

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Junior
Reaction score
I made this last April and it came out great. Making the homemade coconut is a chore but it's not horrible. Not really sure what the rice water does. I think it might have something to do with keeping the coconut from going rancid. Got that part of the operation from Jack Keller's website. The coconut oil wasn't too bad. I did wipe off as much as I could when I took it out of the oven. I think this would be great with Meadowfoam Honey. Let me know if you give it a try. I think you'll love it...

DE LIME ON DE COCONUT
3 Gallon Batch:
OG = 27 Brix (1.117)
FG = 12 Brix (1.006)

1 Coconut
Lime Juice
Lime Zest
Coconut Milk (homemade)
8 oz. Coconut Shreds (Nature's Flavors)
.25 oz Coconut Extract (Nature's Flavors)
9 lbs Clover Honey
1 lb 8.0 oz Mesquite Honey
1 lb Craisins
1 Pkg Lalvin D-47

Coconut milk:
1. Cook 1# of rice in 1qt of water for 5 minutes and drain off liquid to a bowl.
2. Open coconut and drain the liquid into rice water.
3. Split the coconut and bake at 150F for 20-30 minutes to soften it up.
4. Remove coconut "meat" and shred. Add to hot rice water and soak/mix then strain off the milk to a jar.
5. Finish cooking rice in another quart of water.
6. Drain hot rice water onto coconut and soak/mix then strain off the milk to a jar.
7. Set coconut milk jar aside in fridge until secondary.

Mead:
1. Take 1/2 of the coconut mash and toast it in oven. Add the toasted and raw coconut to the primary.
2. Add honey, water and zest of 3 limes. Add campden.
3. Next day, pitch yeast and nutrients. Aerate well.
4. Ferment for a week or so. Add nutrients as needed.
5. Transfer to secondary and add coconut milk, zest of 3 limes and the juice of 6 limes.
6. Keep an eye on pH. Add Potasium Bicarbonate if pH < 3.0.
7. After 30-45 days, rack onto Craisins and coconut shreds. Add juice of 6 limes and coconut extract.
8. Rack in 45-60 days. Adjust lime or coconut if necessary.
9. Rack again in 45-60 days and bottle if clear.

Its like dehydrated Cranberries and raisens. Ocean Spray makes it. SUPER sweet.

That sounds damn good! I am going to copy this recipe and put it in the recipe section also. thanks.

This and my Strawberry Mead were huge hits at my buddies party last night. One guy kept bugging me about going into business with him. LOL...

Back