De-gassing store bought wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo46307

Reaction score
Shake it, baby shake it!!!

I picked up some Cycles Gladiator 2006 Merlot the other day. I've never had this brand before, so I thought I'd try it. It was actually pretty good, after I shook the crap out of the bottle. I saw the bubbles after I poured the first glass...it had a heavy CO2 feeling to it. Shook it once...twice...thrice...after four times I was able to get a decent drinkable wine.

I have a feeling that once I start drinking the wine that I've made...I probably won't be buying any commercial brands anymore, not a bad thing, just an observation.

Peace,
Bob

Yikes, that's pretty bad to find gassy commercial wine. But I can't say I'm surprised really, since margins are thin and I bet some wineries want to get it into the bottle within weeks of fermentation.

I've been drinking my own wine for over 30 years, but I still buy commercial wines, at least one each week. I enjoy trying new wines from smaller wineries despite the higher cost compared to mainstream wines. Sometimes I find great commercial wines that give me a new benchmark to aspire to. Wine tastings are very fun and educational to take part in, and if you travel to wine regions you just have to do the tour thing. You wouldn't believe the amount of wine I've lied to customs about not having with me when arriving in Canada at the airport! LOL

Besides going to local wineries for tastings I havent bought any commercial wine in around 3 years myself.

Latest posts

Back