WineXpert De-Gas wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not unless you have a vacuum pump of some sort! You can introduce too much 02 by degassing with a drill mounted stirrer the wrong way though!

How does one ensure that the O2 introduced is minimized? What non-vacuum techniques are recommended? I use a Fermtech whip degasser that I'm not sure is better that manual agitation.

Most use high speed on their drill. Don't do it all you need is slow/med! All you need is to make a small vortex and the trapped gas will rise. I use (most mods here) use the metal shaft w/ replaceable paddles. You can get this from our venders listed here

If you have glass carboys get a vacuum pump. Wade has some good deals and they work so well you'll never want to use a drill.

If you are using plastic carboys then the whip is the way to go on slow as Tom mentions. A vacuum on the plastic carboys causes them to collapse.

Can I over De-gas a WE wine?

I did. I had been having trouble getting a WE Vintners Reserve Liebfraumilch to clear (several kits). A couple cleared halfway down the carboy, and one would not clear at all. On advice from WE, I beat the crap out of it while adding a second 1/2 dose of chitosan. Really, drill mounted device, hi speed, long duration. After another 4 or 5 weeks, WE replaced it (good on them huh?) but I chose a chardonnay, due to the problems I had had with the Lieb. Because my wife likes the Lieb, I recently purchased a Selection original series Liebfraumilch. I stirred it less, a lot less really, and it cleared perfectly in the normal time-frame. Lesson learned I think.

This is a common question. I think it might be helpful if one of "the experienced" made a youtube video on degassing with a drill and post it in the tutorial section. It would be nice to see stir speed and techniques to tell when you're done.
One Island mist kit I didn't stir enough and you can definitely tell the difference in taste, but unfortunately it's after the fact.

Not unless you have a vacuum pump of some sort! You can introduce too much 02 by degassing with a drill mounted stirrer the wrong way though!

I have a vacuum pump and (and being relatively neww to this sport) often wonder if I am degassing too much. What does "too much" look like?

Also does anyone give their carboy a quick rotating shake when vacuum degassing? When I do this I get a large head of foam out and often need to reduce the vacuum pressure to let it settle back.

Welcome aboard!!

I only degas once - 18" for about 15-20min.

I vacuum rack about 2-3 times and that takes of the rest.

Wineo, Unless you are letting it run for 1/2 an hour your fine. Some people dont use these kind of pumps and use ones that dont have regulators and once you start pushing the vacuum up to high you start extracting the florals of the wine and even worse are pushing the boundaries of a glass carboy. Once you can get the vacuum up to around 18" and not have a huge influx of bubbles coming up where you have to turn it down you are done. In the beginning youll see lots of little tiny bubbles, once your nearly degassed youll notice these bubbles are much bigger and in frequent!

This is a common question. I think it might be helpful if one of "the experienced" made a youtube video on degassing with a drill and post it in the tutorial section. It would be nice to see stir speed and techniques to tell when you're done.
One Island mist kit I didn't stir enough and you can definitely tell the difference in taste, but unfortunately it's after the fact.

I found this video on you tube, hope it helps
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1FMHrX0Bo&NR=1[/ame]

I rack 3 or 4 time with my vacuum pump. I allow the wine to fall into the receiving carboy from 4 or 6 inches below the top. It automatically degasses. I have not had to just degass at all. I have a whip but don't use it. Never a gas problem. The wine falls into a partial vacuum so therefore, no O2 problem. :b

How can I tell if i've introduced too much oxygen to my wine in this process? And what are the repurcussions?

Usually a brownish color depicts oxidation. Oxidation will destroy a wine, it will make the wine taste and smell badif too much is introduced otherwise it will just ruin the color. The wine will become unstable making infections much more likely also.

Ok, thanks. Hopefully I didn't then. :) I had used the drill mounted attachment for it, but was nervous after watching this video, that perhaps I had allowed too much oxygen into it. However, I stabilized it about 10 days ago and it's continuing to clear (it's a white, so easy to tell) without changing color, so my fingers are crossed! Thanks again.

You must do a lot of Winexpert kits, most other kit makers ask you to rack off sediment before adding clarifier's and degassing.

Digger

I do make mostly Winexpert kits, but I have had much better results with my Cellarcraft kits by not racking before stabilizing. Even after filtering, the Cellarcraft kits would drop sediment in the bottle, but not after I switched to the WE regimen.

Latest posts

Back