Day Lily Wine - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the few flowers I don't mind collecting from the yard since they only last a day.

Potentially a good wine so I've got enough blossoms in the freezer for another batch. Maybe I'll get more just in case.

Coincidentally, about 10 minutes from me further into the hills is our LilyFest in 2 weeks. A collection of local artisans and musicians on the grounds of a 30 acre garden. Too many tourists but I manage to survive.

lily 1.jpg lily 2.jpg

Transferred to secondary. Nice melon color.
It has a nice "what is that fruit?!" flavor. Yes, it really is fruity! I am SO curious where this will go.

BTW, I never wash my flowers like everyone says to do. I want the pollen and nectar. The boiling water poured over them is good enough for me.

20220701_192617.jpg

What kind of day lily? I have many wild day lily. Did you use Keller’s recipe?

What kind of day lily? I have many wild day lily. Did you use Keller’s recipe?
It was mostly "ditch" lily, the common variety. Must be flavor in the nectar because ants and hummingbirds like them.

Yes, I used Keller's recipe with minor tweaks - golden raisins instead of concentrate (which I'm convinced doesn't exist anymore) and I only had to use 11/2 tsp acid blend to get 3.5 pH.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that a wine can be made out of daylilies. As I kid I instinctively picked out and ate the pistils from the daylilies in my grandparent's home/backyard. Just a few. Some tasted sweet. Some didn't which I spit out. I've read where specific daylily variety petals are used in salads and for other dishes. Warning/disclaimer: I don't recommend eating/consuming/processing any plant, or other carbon-based matter that you haven't fully researched for its possible toxicity, and other chemical interactions.

I’m afraid my ditch lilies may be done for the year. Oh well, waiting for your results.

One of the few flowers I don't mind collecting from the yard since they only last a day.

Potentially a good wine so I've got enough blossoms in the freezer for another batch. Maybe I'll get more just in case.

Coincidentally, about 10 minutes from me further into the hills is our LilyFest in 2 weeks. A collection of local artisans and musicians on the grounds of a 30 acre garden. Too many tourists but I manage to survive.

View attachment 90051 View attachment 90052
How many or volumes of daylillies did you use per gallon of water. There are many ditch daylilies growing wild all around my area. I think I would give it a try. I think it would be a unique wine.

I'm not surprised that a wine can be made out of daylilies. As I kid I instinctively picked out and ate the pistils from the daylilies in my grandparent's home/backyard. Just a few. Some tasted sweet. Some didn't which I spit out. I've read where specific daylily variety petals are used in salads and for other dishes. Warning/disclaimer: I don't recommend eating/consuming/processing any plant, or other carbon-based matter that you haven't fully researched for its possible toxicity, and other chemical interactions.
I agree.
Old foragers get to be old for a reason.

How many or volumes of daylillies did you use per gallon of water. There are many ditch daylilies growing wild all around my area. I think I would give it a try. I think it would be a unique wine.
I went by the recipe and got about 4-5 qrts. Weighed in at 260 grams.

Then I decided to experiment. Today I started another batch at 500 grams. Some describe flower wines as being delicate so I thought, heck, let's double the flowers and see what we get. What a great hobby!

Then I decided to experiment. Today I started another batch at 500 grams. Some describe flower wines as being delicate so I thought, heck, let's double the flowers and see what we get. What a great hobby!
Thanks for the insight. The Daylilies will be in bloom very soon in my area

Can't wait to read the results.

I am inspired by this! I have probably 20 varieties of day lilies and they are still blooming but just past their peak. I'd love to try this this week.

I have a lot of the double oranges, and google says they're edible too. The deer especially think they're edible. 🙄 Did you use a ton of different colors? I have fragrant, non fragrant, and a rainbow of colors...

Yes, the deer love them. I deliberately didn't spray Liquid Fence this year because of the wine plans.

I used about 75% ditch lilies in both my batches.

I've been harvesting every day. BTW, they freeze well. I may have to get another freezer for food - seems like they're full of berries and flowers for wine.

Last edited:
Yes, the deer love them. I deliberately didn't spray Liquid Fence this year because of the wine plans.

I used about 75% ditch lilies in both my batches.

I've been harvesting every day. BTW, they freeze well. I may have to get another freezer for food - seems like they're full of berries and flowers for wine.

Well, you ignited the wine fever in me. I remembered I sprayed capsaicin animal repellent on all of mine as they were developing, and my heart sank - no wine this year. Then I remembered my best friend has a a ton of oranges - in fact, she gave me mine - and she doesn't spray since she lives in the city and has a fenced yard. So I went to her house yesterday and announced I was taking all that were in bloom. She said no, and I reminded her they'd be back today. She relented, I was ruthless picking lol, and the yeast was pitched at 1am this morning.

So glad to know they freeze well! That will make collection an easier task for next year. My freezer is full of blackberries and dandelions I'm still trying to collect, and I'm headed to a peach orchard today... my husband is a tolerant man.

I can't wait to see how this turns out. And btw I have the best best friend in the world.... and luckily she loves my wines nearly as much as she loves her flowers - and me.

I transferred my 2nd batch of day lily wine early this morning.
In the first batch I used ec1118 only because I had an open packet in the fridge.

This batch used 71B. The quantity of flowers was doubled from 260 gr to 500 gr. Or in other words 9-10 qrts from 4-5. Not much difference in color, perhaps a bit darker. The first batch was fruity and good. This one? STRAWBERRY! Absolutely tastes like strawberry! I'm shocked and very pleased. I am SO glad I tried this! I'll probably increase the quantity of flowers in all my flower wines to see what happens.

What this means for me is that I'm going to take my ziploc-ed bags of day lilies from the freezer and vac seal into 500 gr pouches.

lily wine 2.jpg

Well, you ignited the wine fever in me. I remembered I sprayed capsaicin animal repellent on all of mine as they were developing, and my heart sank - no wine this year. Then I remembered my best friend has a a ton of oranges - in fact, she gave me mine - and she doesn't spray since she lives in the city and has a fenced yard. So I went to her house yesterday and announced I was taking all that were in bloom. She said no, and I reminded her they'd be back today. She relented, I was ruthless picking lol, and the yeast was pitched at 1am this morning.

So glad to know they freeze well! That will make collection an easier task for next year. My freezer is full of blackberries and dandelions I'm still trying to collect, and I'm headed to a peach orchard today... my husband is a tolerant man.

I can't wait to see how this turns out. And btw I have the best best friend in the world.... and luckily she loves my wines nearly as much as she loves her flowers - and me.
Too bad about the capsaicin. I've never had much luck with those repellents. Liquid Fence is the only one that works for me for raccoons, ground hogs, and deer. There are copycat homemade recipes for it that involve curdled milk and rotten eggs.

Transferred to secondary. Nice melon color.
It has a nice "what is that fruit?!" flavor. Yes, it really is fruity! I am SO curious where this will go.

BTW, I never wash my flowers like everyone says to do. I want the pollen and nectar. The boiling water poured over them is good enough for me.

View attachment 90188
What was your OG? I'd like to try a mead. Sounds interesting, and they're just about ready!!!!!

Last edited:
I transferred my 2nd batch of day lily wine early this morning.
In the first batch I used ec1118 only because I had an open packet in the fridge.

This batch used 71B. The quantity of flowers was doubled from 260 gr to 500 gr. Or in other words 9-10 qrts from 4-5. Not much difference in color, perhaps a bit darker. The first batch was fruity and good. This one? STRAWBERRY! Absolutely tastes like strawberry! I'm shocked and very pleased. I am SO glad I tried this! I'll probably increase the quantity of flowers in all my flower wines to see what happens.

What this means for me is that I'm going to take my ziploc-ed bags of day lilies from the freezer and vac seal into 500 gr pouches.

View attachment 90272
Wow it looks great. Plus the wine is not found in any store I know about.

Too bad about the capsaicin. I've never had much luck with those repellents. Liquid Fence is the only one that works for me for raccoons, ground hogs, and deer. There are copycat homemade recipes for it that involve curdled milk and rotten eggs.
The spray I get at Lowe's works when sprayed on the buds and flowers. This year a particularly aggressive doe, who won't even run from my dog and me working together, ate buds ready to flower, even leaving the pistil behind one one of them! Argh. The thing about the spray, though, is you have to remember to respray after rain or a few heavy dews... which I didn't, evidently, do frequently enough. It's supposed to be ok to use on things you eat, but I'd rather not risk residue in my wine. Can't scrub a flower clean.

Speaking of deer, I think the best deterrent is a paint ball gun. You have to be completely exasperated, dig out your son's old paint ball gun, drive 60 miles to the Nearest place that will fill a CO2 tank, get blaze orange colored paint balls for the sake of irony, and set the gun on a table by the door. The deer, evidently, instinctively know that you are ready to sting their butts if they venture into the yard.

Translation - I went through the torture and expense of getting the gun ready for them, and haven't seen a single deer since. Not sure if I find satisfaction in that or not.

Latest posts

Back