WineXpert Date Code on my Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
I started a WE Selection Int, Australian Cab yesterday that I got from my HBS. I just noticed the date code is listed as: 0730207 142.

Does this mean my kit is 2 years old?:?

so here you go
Winexpert
They break down like this: 00/195/07 0267
00 The first two digits are for internal use: ignore.
195 The next three digits indicate the day it was produced, in this case the 195th day of the year, which is July 14.
07 The next two digits are the last two digits of the year, in this case 2007.
0267 The last four digits show which particular kit of that batch this kit is: in this case, the 267th kit out of about 600
So, in your case it was born on the 302 day of 2007
October 29 2007. I would toss the yeast and make it

Its a old kit and I hope you got a good deal or I would go back there and give them hell and demand some cash back. If you did get a good dela then thats that. It should still be goodand I would make a starter yeast with what was supplied and if it starts up good get our must ready for it, if it doesnt start up then go and atleast get a new yeast packet from them for FREE!

Hell go wine(pun) and see if you can get a deal on another kit. It couldnt hurt to try.

I definitely did not get a deal. Well, maybe a little, I got 10% off for buying two. Instead of $122 each, I paid $110 each. I knew nothing about the date when I was buying it.

I didn't notice the date until Monday, pitched the dry yeast on Sunday. I made both kits on Sunday, the other is an Australian Shiraz, but it's only 6 months old.

The Cab is bubbling, but not as vigorously as the newer Shiraz.

How & when will I know if it is affected by the age of the kit?

Call the shop you got it from and tell them. They may or may not do anything for you. It's worth a shot. Since the yeast "took off" you are probably OK. The yeast is usually the 1st to go.

Thanks for the input guys & gals,

I'll let you know how the "negotiations" go at the HBS.

Yeah,

I can get some kits on the net, including shipping, for less than I can get them at my LHBS.

...Live & learn.

If the juice wasnt brown then thats a good sign and if the yeast is working thats good to. All kits will not ferment the same so dont judge it by the newer 1 going faster. I did a side by side fermentation of the same kit 1 1/2 years ago and 1 of them blew the others doors off. Its just a matter of a yeast taking hold of the must better and multiplying better.

Actualy, the color was a beautiful color of purple, and it tasted pretty good too!

Today is day 6, Saturday. wine is still fermenting away. Directions say it should get to SG 1.10 or less, before moving to secondary, which should take 5-7 days. It is currently at 1.12. I was hoping to move to secondary tomorrow, but it looks like it won't be ready. The yeast is two years old, so maybe it's moving a little slow. The HBS gave me another yeast pack, but I did not pitch it.

Do you think I should pitch it, or should I just give it some more time?

Give it more time.
Be careful how you write us the gravity you should say
1.010 not SG 1.10
and
1..012 not 1.12

I started a WE Selection Int, Australian Cab yesterday that I got from my HBS. I just noticed the date code is listed as: 0730207 142.

Does this mean my kit is 2 years old?:?

Hi all!
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back