Darn Skeeter Pee!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess I'm slow , :rolleyes:, but i filter every racking, once off ferment,,, my wine sets till clear, and is clear each and every racking, i put my spun polypropylene, once it is bone dry before it hits the freezer, i keep better then 50 of each filter new in 20mm ammo boxes, each ammo box holds 26 filters, i only use concentrates when my fresh frozen fruit is gone, or for fruits and berries i don't grow, except for skeeter pee, all my other wines bulk for 1 to 2 years, whites get 1 year, reds get 2 years, all country wines, although due to @NorCal , i plan to do a white traditional wine this season, it will be my very first grape wine, @NorCal had to remind me that grapes are fruits too. funny because that stunned me, i had never thought about grapes being fruits, where i live, at least close to me, there are no vineyards that i know of, so it had never dawned on me,,,,,,, my pump set up has filters on each system and after use i fill the entire system with K-meta solution, so come using time i just pump solution out and go do my thing, then flush and fill system again with K-meta solution, even my canes are kept in a stainless steel tall 5 gallon beer keg , so my entire set up is plug and play, repeat,, repeat,, etc.,,,,
Skoal
Dawg

I'm still trying to decide how I want to finish off this "skeeter pee." I started with a 5 gallon batch which didn't ferment, divided, diluted added flavors, lost track of SG's and now I have 3 flavors slowly perking along. I still haven't added the rest of the lemon to it. I'm thinking I might siphon a little off each carboy so there is enough room to add the rest of the lemon and see how it tastes. At that point I don't know if the lemon would continue to ferment or what, but I just hate to waste anything, and when I finish these batches I'm going to try to start another small batch of skeeter pee and do it differently this time. Maybe I can make it work! AND if I scrounge up another carboy or two I will start another batch of sandplum wine.

I haven't been on the site for a few days. I just got out of the hospital after a spinal fusion. I won't be lifting any carboys for a while!
My internet was not working right when I got home and it has taken forever just to get through all my darn email!

Next time you do a batch of wine that you wouldn't mind having a bit of the flavor of in your skeeter pee just startthe batch on everything that is left in the primary. Use the same bucket and add the S.P. ingredients except for the last lemon juice. Just rack the wine off the lees and dump the rest of the ingredients in the primary. Thinking you will be suprised on how fast it takes off. And keep it at 70 to 75 degrees or so. And don't do any lifting til you are cleared to do so. Hoping everything goes good for you. Arne.

Arne I'm thinking of doing this very thing. It will be a while before I'm ready to start another batch. Carboys are full and I'm waiting for a month or so before I bottle the first batch. I have the two smaller batches still slowly going down on their SG. But one of these days I'm going to make a GOOD batch of skeeter pee!

Finally finished some of my Skeeter screw up. Fortunately this lemon elderberry turned out delicious! I'm very happy
with it. I ended up with 26 bottles plus a quart in the fridge to sample. I'm going to age it a while but I can hardly wait to share it!

Latest posts

Back