Dark Red?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spleisher

Reaction score
Hello again,

Well, my initial kits are progressing toward bottling day, and I've of course run into more questions.

One of my kits is a Red Zin. It's a kit that had grape skins, so it's really dark.

Here's the deal.... I think it's clearing ok. It's been almost 2 weeks since I de-gassed and stabilized. It looks crystal clear in a glass when I test, but I'll be darned if I can see a single hint of a flashlight beam when I shine it through the carboy from the other side.

Could the wine just be that dark/full bodied?

I think I read somewhere that you should be able to shine a flashlight through the carboy and see it clearly from the other side.

I can do that with the riesling I am making. Granted, it's a white, but when I shine a flashlight on that carboy, it lights up like a glowing globe.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

OK so it looks great. How does it "taste"? The reason you can't see is that the added skins added more (alot) color and body. When did you start it?
A little more aging will help alot. Don't be in a hurry to bottle as your patience will be rewarded later.

Hi Tom,

Well, this is gonna sound extraordinarily stupid, but I really don't know how it tastes, mainly because I don't know how it is "supposed" to taste at this point. This is my first kit, so I'm not too familiar with the tastes at various stages.

I'll put it this way, it seems to be tasting better and better all the time. Earlier it was kinda odd tasting, but it tastes more and more like a red wine should taste every time I test it at this point.

I guess the big difference I am tasting now is that all the yeast is settling out of it?

I think it is ok, and I'm in no rush to bottle it. Speaking of bottling, how much of a change in flavor will I notice from bottling date vs., say, 2-3 months down the road once it's been in bottles for a bit (assuming I bottle a little after the instructions say, and don't bulk age for a super long time)?

Thanks again,
Scott

You'll notice a big change in about 3 months. Just tasted my first red and it's getting really good.

Yes it's true..
It does get better with age....

I have the same kit at about the same stage and I see no light using a flashlight as you did.

I have the same kit at about the same stage and I see no light using a flashlight as you did.

Wow, that's interesting (and comforting). Maybe that's just the way it is with some of the bigger red kits. Guess that's especially true when grape skins are part of the mix.

i wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to bottle a grapeskin kit on the 30th day or whatev the instructions say. instead of bottling, you can rack it again to carboy if there's any sediment at all, otherwise, keep it airlocked and topped up and let it rest for a few months.. that give it real time to clarify and age a bit too. then you can decide whether you want to bottle at that point, or go for even more bulk aging.

What brand kit is this? I'm looking for a Zin kit with skins and CC is the only one my store carries.

I've done 3 reds. One kit and two from juice. None had skins and I could not see light through any of them.
I don't see a problem. ;)

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Helps to se my mind at ease.

MN-winer, it's a RJ Spagnols Gran Cru international series.

Last edited:
I've never done a kit, but plenty of reds. Mostly, you can't see through them.

Sorry to bump this, but in my experience you can see a light through the reds if you wait long enough for them to clear. I have 3 reds about 4 months in the carboy now, including a WE estate series LOVZ , and you can see the light -not the beam mind you, but the bulbs, through the wine. This tells me me that they have cleared - if you can't see this then I would say you still have some suspended solids and it still needs more time to clear. In fairness, I have only just started my first grapepack wine ( RQ Meritage), so I can't comment on them, but I really can't see how they would be any different.
Cheers .. Doug

Sorry to bump this, but in my experience you can see a light through the reds if you wait long enough for them to clear. I have 3 reds about 4 months in the carboy now, including a WE estate series LOVZ , and you can see the light -not the beam mind you, but the bulbs, through the wine. This tells me me that they have cleared - if you can't see this then I would say you still have some suspended solids and it still needs more time to clear. In fairness, I have only just started my first grapepack wine ( RQ Meritage), so I can't comment on them, but I really can't see how they would be any different.
Cheers .. Doug

It seems that some reds are darker than others, and some light bulbs are brighter than others as well, so I'm not sure you would want to use transparency as a gauge.

Yes, but he said a flash light. I use a trouble light with a 100W bulb and that is always visible.

I go with Tom, taste is more important than light passing through. It may clear more, but if the taste is where you want I wouldn't sweat the transperancy.

Back