Dark or Light when fermentating?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catholicemom

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to wine making and just got a starter kit for Christmas. I wanted to try something simple and just used a welch's grape recipe. I had a few questions:

1. Do you need to store the primary fermentator in a dark place? Or can it be in a lighted place?
2. What room temperature is best for fermenting?

Reason, I have a basement around 65-68 degrees F but wasn't sure if it was too low. If I keep my primary upstairs, it will be at 70 but their is a lot of light and will be in kitchen - high traffic area.

Most primary buckets do not let light in so there is no problem there at all. You may want to pick up a Brewing belt for downstairs though. Those temps are ok for fermenting, a little on the low side but after fermentation is done those temps are too low to properly degas your wine and for some fining agents to properly do their job. If you are concerned about the light you could always throw a paper bag from a grocery store over them.

Back