DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As my first batch of dragon blood quickly depletes I decided to start something a little different. Partially inspired by a July 4th pineapple and cherry desert I used 8lb of pineapple/peach/mango/strawberry and 2 lbs of sweet cherrys. Otherwise following the DB recipe. We will see how it goes.

As my first batch of dragon blood quickly depletes I decided to start something a little different. Partially inspired by a July 4th pineapple and cherry desert I used 8lb of pineapple/peach/mango/strawberry and 2 lbs of sweet cherrys. Otherwise following the DB recipe. We will see how it goes.

Racked to carboy last night and tasted it. Both my wife and I could really only taste peaches. As of now replicating the 4th of July dessert seems to have been a failure but it seems we will have a pleasant light peach wine. It will be interesting to see if anything changes over the next few weeks.

I made my first half batch of Dragons Blood using 4lbs of Berry Field Blend (strawberry/raspberry/blueberry/blackberry). I left the fruit floating free in the bucket using a large brew bag to line the bucket so that I could lift and squeeze and remove daily for the daily testing.

It was blood red the first day. It fermented fast, about a week. When I removed the brew bag I noticed it was mostly blueberries that had survived while all other fruits had nearly dissolved into mush. Degassed in bucket. Racked into my 5 gallon carboy for first rack with airlock.

Week later racked off fruit sediment and into 3 gallon carboy with 2 liter bottles holding what couldn't fit. Degassed again and added the sparkloid to the carboy. Tested the batch using the bottles.

Holy crap this stuff is dangerous! It tastes like fruitopia fruit punch! No alcohol taste. I don't remember getting to bed lol. Now I'm just waiting for the batch to clear. Friends who I told about my experience testing it are eagerly waiting to try. This maybe my new go to recipe.

My mom introduced me to wine making as a kid making Dandelion Wine that was stronger then moonshine! I know because my dad used to do the spoon test with it lol! I think she would have loved this recipe!

Holy crap this stuff is dangerous! It tastes like fruitopia fruit punch! No alcohol taste. I don't remember getting to bed lol. Now I'm just waiting for the batch to clear. Friends who I told about my experience testing it are eagerly waiting to try. This maybe my new go to recipe.

Can confirm it is indeed dangerous. Dave really knocked it out of the park. I took a bottle of the original recipe DB and a bottle of homemade sav blanc to a large family gathering. To extended family members who own restaurants out in LA happened to be in town. Well the two of them drank the entire bottle of DB, before anyone else could get a sample. When I told them how it was made the looks on their faces were beyond priceless

It was time to clean out the freezer again, so decided to try a dragons blood because I really need an early drinker, lol.
I split the water between 2 buckets and put a lug of Sangiovese skins in the bottom one. To the top one I added 15 lbs of mixed berries, and 4 lbs bananas. I split the RealLemon as even as I could.
I had some Lallzyme-EX and Opti-Red leftover from grape season, so I used those per the directions, and I used Avante yeast since it’s all I had.
My plan is to combine the 2 buckets after fermentation. I did this with a mead back in August that turned out really nice.
Ph on the grapes-3.5
Ph on the berries-3.3
Sg-1.083 and 1.087

Attachments

• 5821A502-4F8E-418C-AD8A-085F9080E1A3.jpeg
    5821A502-4F8E-418C-AD8A-085F9080E1A3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
After reading the last post, I said "I might have just made a Chianti with the Sangiovese." I reread it, and noted that it was just the skins. Interesting idea, and I think you will have a winner. Where can you buy just skins? BTW, what is a 'lug'? I've seen it used before, and just thought 'volume'!

After reading the last post, I said "I might have just made a Chianti with the Sangiovese." I reread it, and noted that it was just the skins. Interesting idea, and I think you will have a winner. Where can you buy just skins? BTW, what is a 'lug'? I've seen it used before, and just thought 'volume'!
A lug is a box of grapes. Usually 36 lbs. This is a “second run” for these grapes. I fermented them already and added the wine to my Tuscan blend. Its a great way to stretch my investment in the grapes. I learned this from @winemaker81 posts. The grapes have a surprising amount of life left in them after fermentation!

Where can you buy just skins?
Finer Wine Kits sells skin packs as an option for their kits -- they may sell separately but I haven't seen it advertised. Other vendors sell skin packs, but I don't know any details.

BTW, what is a 'lug'?
Following is a picture of two 36 lb lugs, stacked. My purchases have been in 36 lb lugs, but there are other sizes -- I've seen 42 lb lugs advertised.

lugs.jpg

Racked to carboy last night and tasted it. Both my wife and I could really only taste peaches. As of now replicating the 4th of July dessert seems to have been a failure but it seems we will have a pleasant light peach wine. It will be interesting to see if anything changes over the next few weeks.
I would give it more than a few weeks. Just might turn out to be a real keeper. Patience is a virtue!

I would give it more than a few weeks. Just might turn out to be a real keeper. Patience is a virtue!

Some drinkers enjoy it so a good number of bottles are now empty but the ones left have been stashed to see what they turn into in a few months.

I believe it makes 6 gallons. If it's a one gallon jug, add it to 5 gallons of water then and the other amendments (sugar, k-meta etc.)
@pandakatelyn, double check the label -- I made one of these a few years ago and I think it reconstitutes to 5 US gallons. I added 1 liter red grape concentrate to stretch it to 6 gallons. My notes are in the link below. Note that I split the batch -- if I had it to do again, I'd have not split it, and made only the main (non-fortified) batch.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2018-elderberry-batch-1/

Mike, seriously, I'm NOT following you around WMT! 🤪

I have a batch of DB fermenting right now. I was planning on using the slurry and immediately starting a batch of Skeeter Pee. In reading the FAQ of the SP, I see that it says not to use a slurry of SP for another batch of SP. DangerDave says his recipe is based on the original SP recipe. The question now is, given that it's essentially a SP, is the slurry from the DB pushed to hard to use as a SP slurry?
My Plan was to do 4 wines in this order:

Dragons Blood
Skeeter Pee
RJS Red
Master Vintner Red

Would I be better off doing one of the red kits and using the slurry from one of those instead?

I always use fresh yeast (usually a packet of EC-1118 rehydrated for 15 minutes in a cup of 100* F water) instead of slurry for DB and SP, but I wanted a pure lemon flavor for my SP. Plus, then I don't have to worry about timing different batches to make sure I have slurry at the right time, although I seem to recall reading that it can be refrigerated for a time? I put a question mark because I am not sure if I am remembering that correctly.

Thanks for your reply. I have seen that one can use ec1118, but I’m going to go with the slurry method. One reason is that I want some additional color. I’ve seen some very beautiful blush colors from slurries. I also decided against using the DB slurry. I just don’t want to risk failure on my first try. So my next ferment will be the merlot, and I’ll use that slurry for the SP.

My first batch of Dragon Blood Is bottled! Crazy good! I used 8 #'s fruit only because it came in 4 # bags.

I'm guessing many (most?) folks never made a second batch of the original recipe. Wonderful recipe, excellent starting point, endless variations. That's where I am!

Started my second batch. Berry blend, mango, chopped dried ginger. Third day in primary and I taste the ginger. That's what I wanted! I hope it carries through.

Latest posts

Back