DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G thanks for info KCCam i didn"t know about PH before yeast. what do you aim for and is it the same for reds and whites?
I'll leave the numbers to someone else. I'm just getting into trying out my own concoctions, so only just received my first pH meter - a cheap one for now. So far I've just done kits and a bunch of "normal" DB variants. I've got rhubarb and plums coming from my sister's garden, and I believe they are on opposite sides of the spectrum, so figured it was a good time to have a better idea what I'm starting with. Different yeast have different pH requirements, but generally I believe starting somewhere between 3.2 and 3.6 is good. I am aware that those in the know often use lower for reds, higher for whites. Others might chime in here, because I am out of my comfort zone. Check the specs for the yeast you're using.

G thanks that's good at lease we got a starting point. I'm going to a local hydroponic store this afternoon to see what they have for PH tester.
Keep the glass bottom UP!!!

Hi Everyone,

I want to try this recipe, but I am wondering if there has been any changes to the original recipe along the way can someone point out if so, thanks

Hi Everyone,

I want to try this recipe, but I am wondering if there has been any changes to the original recipe along the way can someone point out if so, thanks
It's my understanding that Dave has updated the recipe on the first page with some changes as time went on.

That being said, people use it as a starting point so they make their own changes, such as doubling the fruit or putting in less lemon juice. I made my first batch pretty much according to the recipe, except I halved the recipe to make a 3 gallon. The mixed fruit I used was a 4 lb bag, and I also added extra water which meant extra sugar to get my starting sg to 1.075. When I racked it, I ended up with a full 3 gallon carboy plus 1 quart plus 1 pint.

Most people suggest making your first batch close to the original recipe as a baseline and then do whatever you want to make it your own version. I plan to start a 2nd batch with double the fruit as soon as I get the first batch bottled in a couple weeks (backsweetening later this week, if not tonight - hubby is eager to try this and keeps asking when we will sweeten it 😂🤣😂).

Edited to add that if we like the first batch as-is, I may use the other 2 bags of fruit in the freezer to make a 6+ gallon batch and split it, which will allow me to experiment against a baseline, leaving some of it drier and maybe oaking it, etc.

Last edited:
I've wanted to make a pineapple or black cherry batch...would I be able to add juice to the recipe? I've found pineapple juice (easy to find) but also black cherry juice at my local grocer, and curious how to incorporate that in. Currently doing a lemonbalm/strawberry herbal wine, so trying to drum up ideas while that carboy is occupied.

I've wanted to make a pineapple or black cherry batch...would I be able to add juice to the recipe? I've found pineapple juice (easy to find) but also black cherry juice at my local grocer, and curious how to incorporate that in.
Of course you can. It's DB. Anything goes. I think a lot of people use juice to replace some or all of the water in primary. Some wait until back-sweetening and add something like that if the sweetening doesn't bring the fruit forward enough. Some make a flavor pack (F-pack) so the flavor is more concentrated, and dilutes the ABV less. Adding it up front means you don't have to worry about dilution, but adding at the end allows you to do bench trials, so you can experiment more with amounts and flavors to find what you like.

Hi Everyone,
This entire thread is about changes to the original recipe, and that's partly what makes it so awesome. If you are asking if @dangerdave has made changes, then the last thing I read (which was a while ago) was that he still likes the original the best... almost. Following are a couple of posts where he describes the few changes he's made for himself. In a nutshell: he adds 1/3 cup untoasted oak powder (I think in primary), 3 extra tsp tannin after fermentation, and prefers Kieselsol/Chitosan for clearing (as do most). I'm sure I also read that he increased the tannin in primary to 3 tsp as well, but I'm not sure on that. Do you use a total of 6 tsp per batch now @dangerdave?

I have stream-lined my own process, and continue to tweak my methods for my own batches. Not all of these are reflected in the posted recipe. ...
I now make all my batches in my Brute, three at a time (18 gallons). I use triple everything, except just one packet of yeast. I add one third cup of untoast oak powder per batch, and extra wine tannin after fermentation (3 tsp per batch). I use an extended brew belt wrapped around the Brute to keep it warm, and keep it up off the floor with a pallet. I handle my fruit while it's still frozen, placing six pounds of fruit per batch into cheap knee-high womens stockings. These are simply discarded when fermentation is complete and they've been squeezed down to nothing. I use kieselsol and chitosan for clearing. About half of each batch goes into gallon jugs for easy household consumption (and fewer bottles to wash!) while the rest gets bottled for gifting and swapping.
Now all my secrets are out! :dg
A few notes on DB for those making their first batch. New wines are tart. They lose it with aging. DB is SUPPOSED to be tart, so we’re kind of cheating. We can drink it right away, and enjoy the balance of sweet/tart without guilt. Mine never get to age. Not to say I don’t have a couple of five year old bottles hidden somewhere.
I have never tossed a batch. Nearly any problem can be solved. Never give up! Problem solving will be one of your most valuable wine making skills.
Some folks like theirs with more acid (me). I use the prescribed 48oz per six gallons, and also add 3 tsp of wine tannin for my wife (anti-inflammatory properties) and a bit of oak powder—cause I love what it does to the DB. I back sweeten with 3/4 cup of sugar per gallon, and we drink some ever evening after dinner without fail.
Keep thinking. Keep experimenting. Keep wining!
I’ll check back with you all later.
Dave

After reading this entire thread, I decided to make my first batch (6 gal) with 9 lbs berries, 6 lbs over-ripe bananas, 1.5 lbs raisins, and only 32 oz Real Lemon. Those are some of the most common suggestions from people who were unsatisfied with the original recipe. I figured better to hedge my bet, rather than take the chance I would miss out on something because I didn't like the first batch. I loved it. Next time, I'm going to try the original, as Dave makes it.

I just made my first batch of DDDB and I am astonished! It's not even bottled yet. When I racked it to prepare for bottling I tasted it and it tasted just like a light fruit juice. It fermented from SG 1.085 to 1.002 so it should be at least 11% ABV but there was absolutely no alcohol taste. Even at just 11% this could be deadly. Anybody else have a result like this?

I've wanted to make a pineapple or black cherry batch...would I be able to add juice to the recipe? I've found pineapple juice (easy to find) but also black cherry juice at my local grocer, and curious how to incorporate that in. Currently doing a lemonbalm/strawberry herbal wine, so trying to drum up ideas while that carboy is occupied.
Don't be afraid to experiment. I've substituted all juice in recipes to see what happens. Currently doing an R. J. Knudsen 'Just Tart Cherry' juice that is ready for backsweetening prior to bottling. Getting the ingredients together for a frozen fruit cherry blend (from Walmart) DB.

My mix just started to ferment, I am using the 7.9 gallon fastferment on this batch, I had to wait until my Hobgoblin Ale was bottled to use this conical, anyhow I used 8 pounds of the triple berry blend in the stainless steel drop in screen and D47 yeast and 20 cups of sugar, I am sure the ABV is going to rise a bit after a few days with all that fruit in there, So I will take another gravity reading then, before the fruit was added we were at 1.075 I used the D47 yeast since from what I have read can handle a higher alcohol content that I might just get from this wine.

Attachments

• IMG_6707.JPG
    IMG_6707.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6708.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6695.JPG
    IMG_6695.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6696.JPG
    IMG_6696.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
@pandakatelyn A laminator was one of those random purchases I did for a one time use and I keep finding more uses for it! Most of my cooking recipes are now laminated, and making carboy tags is the latest project. Well, then I pulled it out the other day to laminate our insurance cards.

@pandakatelyn A laminator was one of those random purchases I did for a one time use and I keep finding more uses for it! Most of my cooking recipes are now laminated, and making carboy tags is the latest project. Well, then I pulled it out the other day to laminate our insurance cards.
We went a little laminator-crazy in our house as well. My wife even laminated our Social Security cards for safe keeping, then were told that made them invalid. :slp

Hello friends and DB wine lovers. I recently made around 7 gallon batch of DB. But i don't know what is the ideal temperature at which this should be stored and also I would seek your views about the shelf life of the same.

Hello friends and DB wine lovers. I recently made around 7 gallon batch of DB. But i don't know what is the ideal temperature at which this should be stored and also I would seek your views about the shelf life of the same.
I bottled my first batch last night and my husband tried it today. He had to go into work but he said he is planning on drinking more of it tonight as soon as he gets home! I don't think shelf life is going to be a consideration with it at my house. 🤣😂🤣

Latest posts

Back