DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally cooking fruit before using it, leads to (oddly enough) a cooked taste for the final wine and isn't very pleasant. I did see that to kill the hepatitis A it takes 85 C (185 F) for at least one minute.

I have read that no human pathogen can survive in the low PH, high alcohol environment of wine, but I would toss out anything I had made that might have been from the contaminated fruit.

Pitched yeast on a new batch of DB today. Looks great and smells even better. 8 # of Costco triple berry fruit for 6 g must.
Joe
Poured a 5gallon batch yesterday strawberry didn't realize how pure you can make batch ! Was able to save a couple bottles! DB best recipe every but got stick to the base of it!

I've started a batch of DD blackberry... I'm squeezing, and measuring and SG is dropping nicely (Started 1.082 down to 1.030). I would like to enhance the blackberry flavor with some juice I squeezed from blackberries (separately from the ones in the primary fermentation bucket). A few questions, how much to add? (pint? quart?) When to add? When transferring to the secondary? or on the 3 transfer? I am thinking it will make it a little cloudy, so it make take longer to clear. Any other concerns? Or add it when I am back sweetening? Thanks in advance for your guidance/recommendations.

You started fairly low (1.082), so I would not be adverse to just adding it after fermentation is complete and you stabilize it. I tend to try for 1.100, that allows me a good buffer when I back-adjust the body of the wine.

Last edited:
Thanks.... the DD recipe calls for a target of 1.075, so I was trying to stay close the first time around... I actually wanted to go a little higher but was not sure about going all the way to 1.100. Sounds like it will still work. It's down to 1.014 this morning, so moving along... just to clarify, move it from primary to secondary, then add stabilizers (kmeta, sorbate), Juice, and then sparkaloid... let it clear, then rack again, let it sit, then bottle. Thanks.

Another thought on the initial SG: As this was initially meant to be an 'early drinker', the lower SG would mean a lower ABV. The alcohol content acts to preserve the wine over time, and I plan to let mine age at least a year. I'm seven months in right now, and plan to bottle soon, then I'll start another batch a little differently. Any thoughts Dave?

Another thought on the initial SG: As this was initially meant to be an 'early drinker', the lower SG would mean a lower ABV. The alcohol content acts to preserve the wine over time, and I plan to let mine age at least a year. I'm seven months in right now, and plan to bottle soon, then I'll start another batch a little differently. Any thoughts Dave?

The way I see it, there is no real benefit to aging more then a few months. The flavor peaks after a few months. Once it's clear, bottle it, and enjoy!

Yes. What Jumby said. IMO, the flavor does not improve past the six month point. In fact, I prefer drinking it right away. No aging at all. I like mine nice and tart so that works for me. I make mine 18 gallons at a time so it lasts a few months. But you do you. Some like it dry, some sweet, some fresh, some aged. There’s enough for everyone!

50513AFB-171C-4181-BA52-D56D1853AA92.jpeg Update on the batch startedJune 14:
It’s been 48 hrs since I added Dualfine. Dropped sediment nicely but still not fully clear. I plan to rack tomorrow. Anything other than a little more time in bulk to fully clear? Joe

OK then, I'll bottle soon, but was wondering about the sediment. I have racked off of the lees 3 times now. It looks pretty clear, I can see a bag of sugar through the 3 gal. Better Bottle (2' high x 1' square, or so). This is my first try at it, maybe I should stop being so anal about it, and just drink it (lol!)

Mine is a 4 berry blend, adding strawberries. Hey, it was on sale when I got it, 'the 'G' loves sales on stuff he needs! Also, I was wondering if the addition of a little acid blend might brighten up the flavors? As I typed that I thought, just try it first!

Latest posts

Back