DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 days and Dragon’s in paradise isn’t clearing, a lot of solids on the bottom of the carboy but still not clear.
Any ideas? Rack and more Sparkoloid and pectic enzyme maybe?

5 days and Dragon’s in paradise isn’t clearing, a lot of solids on the bottom of the carboy but still not clear.
I am going through just that with my 4 berry blend, high ABV/dry batch. Second go around with bentonite. Still have suspended floaties. I will wait 3 more days to see if it clears. Then ract off, add a bit of pectic enzyme and Spark. We will see. Buy the way, the sweeter batch of the same berries cleared great when I blended bentonite and spark. I did this as a experiment. Most feel this would have been counterproductive. Seems to have worked on the sweet 4 berry blend batch. Good luck

Racked 4 gallons of Dragonette triple berry today since it has cleared. I added Davinci sugar free sweetener to back sweeten 3 gallons. To the 4th gallon I added some Lemon and Key Lime juice. Will let it all set for a couple more months before tasting again.

Last edited:
Time and patience is my best suggestion. I get the sense that some fruit wines take a long time to clear. I would rack it every 2 months and add meta every other racking until it clears. I have a friend that almost always takes a year to make his fruit wines and rarely does he use a fining agent. The rackings also help get out the CO2 which helps the clearing. Dragon Blood clears so fast it spoils us bad.

I just started a first page of DB and now have to go out of town for 2 days. I finished step one but haven’t pitched the yeast yet. Can I wait a few days or do I need to pitch it, stir it tomorrow and then skip a day and stir when I get back?

I just started a first page of DB and now have to go out of town for 2 days. I finished step one but haven’t pitched the yeast yet. Can I wait a few days or do I need to pitch it, stir it tomorrow and then skip a day and stir when I get back?
Have you added campden yet? If you have not and plan to, add now and in 2 days you are ready to pitch. If you do not plan to add campden (my opinion you should if you are using wild fruit), the juice should be ok if you keep it cool until you return. good luck

Just to add to your post. I would do what ever you normally do with your yeast and stirring. Going away for a couple of days will not matter in the least. I have been sick and let the ferment sit for 2-3 days and it really made no difference. I would add the yeast so it is fermenting while your away.

Will

Thanks for the replies I pitched the yeast and will take my chances. I used frozen three berry fruit from Costco. Do I need to add a campden tablet? I didn’t see that in the instructions but have done it for other wines.

Thanks for the replies I pitched the yeast and will take my chances. I used frozen three berry fruit from Costco. Do I need to add a campden tablet? I didn’t see that in the instructions but have done it for other wines.

Hey again. As has been said you only need to use the camped tablets when using fresh fruit. Your good to go with frozen fruit. Dave's recipe is pretty much full proof. Follow it and you will have a terrific batch of wine . Good luck.

Will

I bottled my first batch of Danger Dave's Dragon Blood this morning. Im very pleased with end result.

I tried these PET bottles for the first time as well. I think I like them.

Cheers!20190316_105321.jpeg

could somebody post links to some of the variations of
DB, like the tropical....going through 235 pages looking for them has proved fruitless thus far (pun intended)

could somebody post links to some of the variations of
DB, like the tropical....going through 235 pages looking for them has proved fruitless thus far (pun intended)

Here’s the OG recipe. Best I could do. Never made this though. I made the “Dragonette” I think it’s called. Basically the difference was half the lemon juice and double the fruit.
3C4943E4-B458-4B45-8812-4FB1F0783D9A.jpeg 8D55E87B-EE3A-41F1-8669-449072562EDD.jpeg 7A934BF5-5DD7-4EBF-A20B-BC22563F1568.jpeg A1D82A9E-134C-4D46-ABA0-5ECC94DF1AE6.jpeg

Latest posts

Back