DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had read somewhere that lemon juice has nothing in it that will ferment, and it can be added after fermentation with no difference in final taste. Has anybody tried that, besides whoever stated it? Sorry, but I have read so much about DB and SK that I cannot remember where I read it. I started a Dragonette and wondered if I could just add some lemon juice if I didn't like how it turned out.

I had read somewhere that lemon juice has nothing in it that will ferment, and it can be added after fermentation with no difference in final taste. Has anybody tried that, besides whoever stated it? Sorry, but I have read so much about DB and SK that I cannot remember where I read it. I started a Dragonette and wondered if I could just add some lemon juice if I didn't like how it turned out.

Lemon juice has sugar in it, and sugar will ferment, so adding it to a finished wine could potentially kick fermentation back off if you've not used sorbate or sterile filtering before doing so.

Lemon juice does indeed have a taste and flavor and will affect the taste of your wine when added in significant quantities. Additionally, it's very acidic and can also affect the acidity (and consequently the taste) of your wine when used in significant quantities. I'm not sure how much you are planning to add, but certainly a couple of drops in a 6 gallon carboy wouldn't be what I would consider a significant quantity.

After reading your post, I looked up lemon juice, and it has 6g of sugar per cup. I will wait until it's done, and maybe try a few drops in a glass. Thanks for your response.

I hadn’t heard that but it does make sense. It was always my opinion that the acid in the juice helps with the extraction of color and flavor from the skins. But if you’re not relying on that then it could certainly be added for flavoring.

Second batch of DB, 33 bottles, woot. Also bottled apple wine today. Almost all set for summer, lol. Also have a 6 gallon batch of Tropical DB going which should be ready in 1-1/2 weeks.

IMG_0661.JPG

Just sarted a tropical variant using kumquats plus a walmart frozen fruit mix of pineapple, peach, stawberry, mango IIRC. three gallon batch. We will see how it goes but it smells great in the primary.
Joe

Hey I just bottled a batch of the tropical version. I didn't use kumquats but I did use bananas and peach juice along with the wally world mixed fruit that you used. You should really like it. Especially with the warmer weather coming.

Will

It smells terrific already! Only problem is no hydrometer with me on this extended vacation so I will be flying blind as far as how it’s going and estimated ABV.

I started a 3 g batch of DB 4 days ago and fermentation was vigorous for that time but today it’s down to a small amount of bubbles. Temp was around 77 deg in the room. Don’t have my normal tools to check temp of must or SG since we are not home.
This was a kumquat mix with tropical fruits.

Should I proceed to rack and airlock it or pitch more yeast?
Joe

Haven’t done a tropical, but have only had one require more than four days to finish once the ferment started. I’d degas and rack it.

Maybe take a sample and try it, see what the sugar level is on your tongue. That could at least give you a guestimate on the SG.

If it’s still fermenting, don’t bother it. I usually leave mine in the primary for 7-10 days even if it appears to stop fermenting. The only way you can tell for sure it’s finished in primary is to check the SG. Otherwise, your just guessing. Degassing will do no good if it’s not finished. It will recarbonate itself.
Patience...

Dragon’s in paradise now clearing. Used peaches and mangos.

View attachment 53619

Looks like a banana I have going.

Busy weekend here with the winter weather setting in. Bottled red grape/niagara, heavy muscadine, and strawberry/niagara, all one gallon batch tests. Racked 3 gallons of blackberry, one gallon cherry/niagara, six gallons of niagara, and racked and sweetened a heavy cherry. Today will bottle 5 gallons of heavy raspberry, one of the few heavy fruit wines have found I like thus far. Do love muscadine, but have found the muscadine/lemon to be my fav, as seems to be the consensus with most I’ve gifted it to. The last six gallon batch was down to six bottles already, so started six gallons more. :)

Been fun learning what I like and don’t like. Have found that, unlike many, I prefer lighter wines. If I have to ‘chew’ through it, count me out. Will add some pics if I can figure out how.

Latest posts

Back