DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the same problem with my DB few months Back wouldnt clear after 2 doses of sparkloid and a double shot of pectic and 2 months time....guy at the brew shop suggested superkleer....put in around lunch on Saturday woke up Sunday morning to the clearest wine I ever made

Had the same problem with my DB few months Back wouldnt clear after 2 doses of sparkloid and a double shot of pectic and 2 months time....guy at the brew shop suggested superkleer....put in around lunch on Saturday woke up Sunday morning to the clearest wine I ever made
Good to know. How much Superkleer did you use for this batch?

Okay, lemme ask a general question: What is the capacity, or is there a capacity, of kieselsol/chitosan finings? I hit this with Super Kleer after racking initially. Almost instantly there was a good 1-1/4” of sediment, which seemed like a lot. Is it possible that there were more solids present than a packet of Super Kleer could handle? I picked up a packet of Dualfine (same diff) and planned to use it if/when the PE did its thing. I’m leaning now toward giving this another day warmed and if no joy, Dualfine. Thoughts?

Okay, lemme ask a general question: What is the capacity, or is there a capacity, of kieselsol/chitosan finings? I hit this with Super Kleer after racking initially. Almost instantly there was a good 1-1/4” of sediment, which seemed like a lot. Is it possible that there were more solids present than a packet of Super Kleer could handle? I picked up a packet of Dualfine (same diff) and planned to use it if/when the PE did its thing. I’m leaning now toward giving this another day warmed and if no joy, Dualfine. Thoughts?

I don't think your clearing problem has anything to do with the Super Kleer not doing the job. If you have 1 1/4 inch of sediment I would rack it again and add 3 or 4 more teaspoons of peptic enzyme. We had a stubborn batch of Raspberry that we had to put in 8 tea spoons in it to finally get it to clear this summer. Peptic enzyme will not hurt your wine in the least. Will not harm the taste. The only wine we have had peptic haze issues with is Strawberry, Raspberry and Peach.

Will

I don't think your clearing problem has anything to do with the Super Kleer not doing the job. If you have 1 1/4 inch of sediment I would rack it again and add 3 or 4 more teaspoons of peptic enzyme. We had a stubborn batch of Raspberry that we had to put in 8 tea spoons in it to finally get it to clear this summer. Peptic enzyme will not hurt your wine in the least. Will not harm the taste. The only wine we have had peptic haze issues with is Strawberry, Raspberry and Peach.

Will
Thanks Will. I did rack it a number of days ago and I’m probably up to that much PE at this point. Temp is holding around 75F now. Maybe marginally better since yesterday. I’m in a holding pattern right now...

Thanks Will. I did rack it a number of days ago and I’m probably up to that much PE at this point. Temp is holding around 75F now. Maybe marginally better since yesterday. I’m in a holding pattern right now...

75F is perfect temp while clearing. And giving the wine time to sit is a good thing to help in clearing. Good luck.

Will

Well, there's a marked improvement since yesterday. It's kind of hard to tell, as the wine is so dark anyway, but it appears to be essentially clear. I think I'm going to let it go another day and see where we're at. I love it when a plan comes together!

I have a DB variant that I'm trying this year, no lemon juice, acid adjusted with tartaric, Lallzyme EX-V, tsp tannins, 60 lbs triple berry, very little water, sugar to 1.110, KV1-1116 temp spiked up into the high 80's. Been done a few months and sitting in a six and one gallon vessel clearing (got 7 gallons). It was a bear to press with all of the tiny particulate matter from the raspberries and blackberries, they just broke down into sludge. Haven't tasted it yet and probably won't fool with it until this years wine goes into the barrel, smells super good and very fruity so far.

Decided to finish up the variant yesterday, it was crystal clear with a pH of 3.51, elected to break out the super jet filter for a little polishing before bottling. Filtered it into a carboy with sulfite and sorbate already measured and dumped into the bottom, the wine is super dark red (it’s in clear bottles) and has an incredibly fruity aroma, it filled the room.

First taste after filtering was very fruity, but a little tart and just a tad bitter. Racked off a gallon for some bench trials, 1/4 cup / gallon, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 cup. In the end, the ladies picked the 1/2 cup / gallon sugar bump, same one I was leaning to.

Sugar on board, it was bottled, corked, capsuled and labeled, and will be ready for summer. Wifey never much cared for the Dragons Blood label, and has always called it Rainbow Wine. She makes the labels and drinks it, so what do I care...........
3E9CB291-FDDE-406C-99FA-7CCE0EA6684E.jpeg 96B72EA3-07A8-4B16-AFEE-C0B8E8435320.jpeg B8836D87-5948-4395-B32C-350004308DF8.jpeg

Hello to all,
Starting a new batch (banana and coconut)
Did a strawberry, pineapple,and Frozen grape concentrate using the DB formula as my Base...made 25 bottles.... all gone.
I'm asking has anyone finished a banana and coconut fruit wine?
Any and all thoughts wecome.
Sugar

Mine is coming along nicely. I transferred to secondary, and within 2 days had a 1.5 inch layer of Lees. So I racked it again and this morning it had cleared considerably again.

I'm impressed with the flavor so far. I was expecting a light blush, but this is big and fruity. Looking forward to playing with this stuff.:dg

Thanks Dave for sharing this recipe :b

Racked and bottled my first batch of DB. Started on 12/16, finished fermenting on 12/22, back sweetened on 12/31 (.992 to 1.008) and aged for a whopping three weeks before bottling tonight. Tastes great.

Tweaks included 9# triple berry and 1 can of Welch frozen red grape juice, juice from a couple of ripe bananas, 4 tsp extra tannin and 4 oz oak chips. Got 29.75 bottles (not counting the two bottles I previously drank already)

Used my vacuum pump and vacuum pump accessories from the all in one pump website to rack and bottle for the first time. Made racking and bottling it piece of cake. Loved being able to rack, bottle, cork while standing! Was also able to cork a bottle while filling another bottles at the same time. Makes for a fast bottling session.

Next batch will be Dragonette!

Attachments

• 20190122_223736.jpg
    20190122_223736.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 73
  • 20190122_220247.jpg
    20190122_220247.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
  • 20190122_220241.jpg
    20190122_220241.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • 20190122_220238.jpg
    20190122_220238.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
20190126_192327.jpg

Getting ready to run some backweetening experiments.

SWMBO took a taste bone dry, poured herself a glass and headed for a bath. DB trials are off to a good start! I'm having a taste dry as well and I would have a tough time telling it from my chokecherry from 3 years ago if they were side by side. Tart but enjoyable.

I've got a gallon to test with and 6 gallons in a carboy awaiting it's fate.

Latest posts

Back