DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey ShaRee 4-5 cups is the norm in a six gal. Batch. If you have already bottled you can always add sugar or Stevia to sweeten in your glass. Remember after you have back sweetened a batch taste it then. Now wait 7-10 days and taste again. Not sweet enough then add more sugar. It's your wine make it the way you like.

Will

Thanks Will. I'll wait a week and try it again before adding more sugar. I'm pretty sure, I will add a bit more.

First Batch! Needing help figuring out ABV

This is my first batch and am hoping someone could calculate my ABV for me because I truly have no idea how to do it.
I'm not totally sure what all info is needed to get it figured so I'll just list my notes from the beginning....Thanks in advance!!

18 gal. Water
18 lbs. Triple Berry Blend
13 lbs. Blackberries
4 Banana's
72 oz. Real Lemon
1 package Lalvin EC-1118 yeast

Day 1, Starting (SG) 1.090 (must) temp 68 deg.
Day 2, (SG) 1.088 temp. 75 deg.
Day 3, (SG) 1.072 temp. 79 deg.
Day 4, (SG) 1.050 temp. 82 deg.
Day 5, (SG) 1.030 temp. 82 deg.
Day 6, (SG) 1.019 temp. 80 deg.
Day 7, (SG) 1.002 temp. 80 deg.
Removed fruit bags
Day 8, (SG) .994 temp. 79 deg.
Day 9, (SG) .992 temp. 77 deg.
Day 10, (SG) .991 temp. 78 deg.
Day 11, (SG) .991 temp. 78 deg.

This is my first batch and am hoping someone could calculate my ABV for me because I truly have no idea how to do it.
I'm not totally sure what all info is needed to get it figured so I'll just list my notes from the beginning....Thanks in advance!!

18 gal. Water
13 lbs. Blackberries
4 Banana's
72 oz. Real Lemon

Removed fruit bags

I see you added bananas. How did this effect the batch? Does it seem to have some more body to it? Did you boil the banana down and add to primaries?

Looking to improve from our first batch we just bottled.

Thanks Amanda!

Daylo, this is my first batch so I don't really have the knowledge to be able to tell if just 4 Bananas made a difference but I read that it would and I had em' so I pitch them in.
No, I didn't boil, I just peeled them and stuck them in the bag along with the fruit.

18 gal. Water
13 lbs. Blackberries
4 Banana's
72 oz. Real Lemon

Removed fruit bags

kpcrane this is a link to a calculator that I use.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

Will

Thank you, Paul for catching that for me.
Well that confirms it that I am still half a sleep this morning.

Will

Last edited:
A noob question... can dragon blood work with pineapples / pomegranates / grapes / bananas instead of berries? How do I make adjustments to the original recipe? Will there be any change in taste if lemons are used.

Last edited:
Yes you can use any fruit ya want. You will want to use 1 pound to 1 and a half pounds of fruit per gallon.
Lemon will make it tart like lemonade but if you are using enough pineapple juice you can get your acid from that. I suggest at least 1 gallon of pineapple juice per 6 gallon batch. You can always add acid at the end when it has finished.

Yes you can use any fruit ya want. You will want to use 1 pound to 1 and a half pounds of fruit per gallon.
Lemon will make it tart like lemonade but if you are using enough pineapple juice you can get your acid from that. I suggest at least 1 gallon of pineapple juice per 6 gallon batch. You can always add acid at the end when it has finished.

Thanks that was helpful... Will table grapes, muscat / thompson grapes work too? We have loads of those coming... plan on making a test batch of sorts... maybe 1 to 2 liters... Are there any tested grape of pineapple dragon blood recipe that I can follow?

Hopefully someone can help identify what this 'floatie' might be in my DB. Is this what sediment looks like? I've had (tasted) three bottles of the batch I started 10/5 and bottled 11/15. The bottles have progressively tasted better.
Problem is now going to my stash, I have at least 6 bottles that have this (black/brown spot) sitting at the bottom of the bottle. Is this something to be worried about? Or is it just sediment?
Anyone else with similar situation?ImageUploadedByWine Making1455640051.107003.jpg

About six months ago I made a 3 gallon batch of Dragons Blood wine. I did a few modifications to it and enjoy the way it tastes and looks in the bottle. I have one bottle remaining.
I'm considering entering a competition and would love to send the last bottle of Dragon's Blood; however, it has been in a wine fridge since I made it. Will it be ok to gradually bring back up to room tempurature for shipping? Or will it just not be the same? Any suggestions?
It really did come out nicely after being in the bottle for almost 6 months. I've enclosed a picture I took right after bottling (with a gallon of Moscato).
Thanks for the help,
Jeff

Dragon's Blood.JPG

Hopefully someone can help identify what this 'floatie' might be in my DB. Is this what sediment looks like? I've had (tasted) three bottles of the batch I started 10/5 and bottled 11/15. The bottles have progressively tasted better.
Problem is now going to my stash, I have at least 6 bottles that have this (black/brown spot) sitting at the bottom of the bottle. Is this something to be worried about? Or is it just sediment?
Anyone else with similar situation?View attachment 27497

Yes that is just sediment won't hurt nothing. Either filter or let sit longer in carboy before bottling to fix on your next batch I prefer longer bulk ageing.

Just finishing up my first cold ferment of DB at 60 to 65 degrees from 1.095 to 1.010 in 13 days. Transferring to carboy tomorrow hope it brings out a robust berry flavor with deeper color.

I have never tried any of the grapes you mentioned in a wine. So I couldn't really tell you one way or the other. Sorry not what you wanted to hear I know. :( But with being said you are the master of your wine give it a shot and let us know how it went. :)

Back