DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
freqflyer the blueberries is what the red color is coming from. The strawberry don't offer up hardly any color. Wouldn't think tropical blend would have blueberry in it or strawberry for that matter. Were all three packaged together and listed as tropical blend or did you just buy them separately?
Thanks
freqflyer the strawberry is included in the tropical blend, but you can use any combination of fruit you desire just wanted to put that out there and make the correction of my statement

freqflyer the blueberries is what the red color is coming from. The strawberry don't offer up hardly any color. Wouldn't think tropical blend would have blueberry in it or strawberry for that matter. Were all three packaged together and listed as tropical blend or did you just buy them separately?
Thanks

It's all from one bag. http://www.wymans.com/product/blueb...oes/blueberries-strawberries-and-mango-chunks

Has anybody made Db from this stuff? How did it taste compared to the original?

Last edited:
I have not but the mix sounds great. We use Wymans Tripple Berry when we make the original recipe. Their fruit is wonderful.

Will

I haven't even seen that mix of fruit either. But yes Wymans is the way to go! Let us know how it turns out

Dave's recipe Sweet Strawberry Tart calls for 71B-1122 yeast. I have a dozen types of yeast, but not this one. What could I substitute that would be comparable? I made the must last night before I realized the missing yeast. Nearest LHBS is 5 hours away.
Also, has there been any updates to this recipe that isn't below?

Sweet Strawberry Tart
5/31/14 - To a 7 gallon fermenter, I added...20 cups of granulater sugar, 1 cup medium toasted French oak, 3 tsp yeast nutrient, 1 tsp yeast energizer, 3 tsp pectic enzyme, 1 tsp wine tannin, 96oz of Real Lemon Juice, and water up to 5 gallons. Stirred vigorously until all was dissolved and well mixed. Attached brew belt for warmth. SG = 1.085. Added 15 lbs of thawed frozen strawberries in two mesh bags. Total volume came out a little over 6 gallons. Squeezed and stirred every day per DB recipe. Notes: I used more lemon juice than I normally do in my DB recipe because I wanted the final product to be nice and tart.

6/1/14 - Pitched 71B-1122 yeast.

6/7/14 - SG = 0.992. Added 1/4 tsp sulphite, 3 tsp sorbate, and 96oz ("Big Bucket") Strawberry Daiquiri Mix. Topped up with about 750ml original Dragon Blood. Added Super Klear

6/23/14 - Racked. After tasting, added 4 cups of sugar and 2oz Watkins Strawberry Extract. Added two drops of red food coloring. Note: I wanted a fuller strawberry flavor than I got with the fruit and mix, thus the added extract. I also wanted a deeper hue of pinkish-red, so added a little bit of color.

6/30/14 - Racked, filtered, and bottled, only to watch most of it disappear over 4th of July weekend.

What SG are you sweetening to? My first batch finished at .990. Last night, I added 3 cups sugar (1/2 cups per gallon) and it brought it to 1.000. It's my first batch, so I'm not sure what I like, because right now after 5 weeks since pitch day, it's still very tart. Do you recommend bumping it up a little? I've got kits I'd like to start, so I'd like to bottle in about 3 weeks to free up the carboy. Thanks!

I like using a little less than 3/4 of a cup of sugar per gallon but I don't use all the lemon juice I don't care for that tartness.

Whatever happened to Danger Dave? Did he get over his foot injury? Is he still making wine?? We all miss him on this thread!!!!

Whatever happened to Danger Dave? Did he get over his foot injury? Is he still making wine?? We all miss him on this thread!!!!

I will second that. I miss, Dave and others that used to post on here regularly. I just guess that's the way most threads go. I have to say that this has been one of the most informative and entertaining Threads I have ever read from the beginning till now. My wife, family, and friends love DB. It seems to be our favorite wine right now. We do make kits mostly the white wine veriaty and they turn out great too. There is still some knowledgable folks on here that still post for us to learn and enjoy from.

Will

What SG are you sweetening to? My first batch finished at .990. Last night, I added 3 cups sugar (1/2 cups per gallon) and it brought it to 1.000. It's my first batch, so I'm not sure what I like, because right now after 5 weeks since pitch day, it's still very tart. Do you recommend bumping it up a little? I've got kits I'd like to start, so I'd like to bottle in about 3 weeks to free up the carboy. Thanks!

Hey ShaRee 4-5 cups is the norm in a six gal. Batch. If you have already bottled you can always add sugar or Stevia to sweeten in your glass. Remember after you have back sweetened a batch taste it then. Now wait 7-10 days and taste again. Not sweet enough then add more sugar. It's your wine make it the way you like.

Will

Bottled our first batch of this last night(11 gallons). It is a pretty good wine. Has a definitive lemon flavor at the end so next time we will cut back on the lemon a little. We like wines semi dry so we bottled about 45 bottles to a more semi dry taste. And then another 8 bottles sweeter. Curious to try them in a couple weeks and see how it tastes. I am thinking we will have to make a batch very sweet for the wife. Time will tell. Easy to drink wine though. Incredibly cheap to make as well.

Latest posts

Back