DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a batch of triple berry blend that's clear.

I was thinking of sweetening with something other than sugar. What are some suggestions for an fpac?

I have a batch of triple berry blend that's clear.

I was thinking of sweetening with something other than sugar. What are some suggestions for an fpac?

I bought a 1lb package of the triple berry, mashed it in a pot on low heat and added some simple syrup to it. I then strained it through a tea strainer, it turned out great.

Fruit Salad "test batch" update :)

My 3 gallon test batch is finished and ready to bottle. :db I backsweetened the 3 gallons with 2 1/4 cups of sugar and it is just right for my taste preference. :h I will definitely make a full 6 gallon batch. The Sunrise Farm Fruit Salad blend of peach, pineapple, strawberry and grape turned out VERY nice. If I didn't know the fruit blend used, I would say this is a pleasant white wine with hints of peach and pineapple. This was a fun experiment and I will make this again in the Springtime for drinking next Summer. :h

My 3 gallon test batch is finished and ready to bottle. :db I backsweetened the 3 gallons with 2 1/4 cups of sugar and it is just right for my taste preference. :h I will definitely make a full 6 gallon batch. The Sunrise Farm Fruit Salad blend of peach, pineapple, strawberry and grape turned out VERY nice. If I didn't know the fruit blend used, I would say this is a pleasant white wine with hints of peach and pineapple. This was a fun experiment and I will make this again in the Springtime for drinking next Summer. :h

The fruit in your Sunrise Farm Salad sounds much like the Tropical D.B. me and others make on here. Glad it turned out well. The Tropical blends I have made is a favorite of mine. The Three Berry Original (raspberry,blackberry,blurberry) is definitely my favorite.

Will

Has anyone used apples to make a Dragon Blood variation? I have a bunch of fresh apples and I need an idea of what to do with them.

Question, did I mess up!?! I just put together a batch of Dragon Blood-Tropical Daze variant and I didn't add as much sugar as I usually do before checking SG but it is already 1.102! I usually don't go over 1.09 so am I still okay? I guess the pineapple juice and white grape juice concentrate had more sugar that I thought they did. Ideas?

Question, did I mess up!?! I just put together a batch of Dragon Blood-Tropical Daze variant and I didn't add as much sugar as I usually do before checking SG but it is already 1.102! I usually don't go over 1.09 so am I still okay? I guess the pineapple juice and white grape juice concentrate had more sugar that I thought they did. Ideas?

I plan to use EC 1118 so I'm thinking it can handle the higher alcohol level. It can handle up to 18% ABV and I shouldn't go over 15%ABV. It wasn't my plan to go that high but I guess I'll let it ride.

Dave, I made my own version (lemon/lime mixed fruit with extra blueberries) last winter and wasn't that impressed when it was time to drink it and neither was my wife. So I let it sit for months. Took another try at it tonight and have to say it is very very good. My wife said "you better hide that from me." Yes, those months wait made a big difference. To anyone who is not satisfied with their version i advise just give it time. Also, just started an original recipe version last week.

I plan to use EC 1118 so I'm thinking it can handle the higher alcohol level. It can handle up to 18% ABV and I shouldn't go over 15%ABV. It wasn't my plan to go that high but I guess I'll let it ride.

Hey I know you know your stuff so all I can say is what lack of fruit flavor you may not have with the higher ABV you should get a kick out of it. LOL

Will

You could always make a second batch with less sugar than normal and blend the two together to meet in the middle of the abv that you want. Nothing wrong with having double the wine you intended to have!

Muscadine Triple Berry Wine...

Yesterday was bottling day for me.

I bottled 30 bottles of Muscadine Triple Berry Wine.

Great color and flavor.

2 Muscadines - Triple Berry  Wine  09-29-15.jpg

Muscadines - Triple Berry  Wine  Shrink Wraps  09-29-15.jpg

Muscadine Triple Berry Wine...

Did you use the dragon blood recipe and add muscadines? I love muscadine wines!

Yes, JSquared,

I had 8 # of Muscadines and 6 # of Triple Berries. I thawed and destemmed the Muscadines, them into a filter bag.

I put the Berries in a filter bag as well.

I pressed the fruit in my Wine Press.

Skins and juice went into the fermenter.

Skins remained in the filter bags.

Midway through fermentation I added more Pectic Enzyme and Yeast Nutrient.

After fermentation the skins were removed, pressed again and discarded.

The juice was returned to fermenter for topping up.

I used Super Kleer.

When it came time to Back Sweeten I used 3 cups of Cane Sugar.

2 Muscadines being pressed  08-10-15.jpg

Muscadines - Triple Berry Wine fermentation 18 hours after pitching the yeast  08-11-15.jpg

Yes, JSquared,

I had 8 # of Muscadines and 6 # of Triple Berries. I thawed and destemmed the Muscadines, them into a filter bag.

I put the Berries in a filter bag as well.

I pressed the fruit in my Wine Press.

Skins and juice went into the fermenter.

Skins remained in the filter bags.

Midway through fermentation I added more Pectic Enzyme and Yeast Nutrient.

After fermentation the skins were removed, pressed again and discarded.

The juice was returned to fermenter for topping up.

I used Super Kleer.

When it came time to Back Sweeten I used 3 cups of Cane Sugar.

This sounds wonderful! I may have to save your recipe and try it next year. We didn't get any muscadines this season. The deer however had a muscadine party! I may still try it if I find them cheap enough at a farmers market! I love the wines from the Duplin winery in NC because they have muscadine wines. Love the recipe twist you did!

Muscadine Triple Berry Wine

Avonjour, HOW DID IT TASTE!!!!

gaboy,

The Muscadine Triple Berry wine tastes fresh, it's only been in bottles for three days.

It's mildly sweet, slightly tart, as most Dragon Blood wines seem to be.

There is a light hint of what I would describe as a musk flavor of the Muscadine wines that I have tried.

My starting Specific Gravity was 1.092, so it's got some alcohol to it.

I used EC 1118 yeast, fermented to dry, Back Sweetened with 3 cups cane sugar. So it's not overly sweet.

We were fortunate in getting beneficial rain this summer for the Muscadine crop in Southeast Texas.

Muscadines  ready for the press  08-10-15.jpg

6 # Triple Berry and 8 # Muscadines   08-10-15.jpg

Avonjour, you must have red muscadines. We have golden muscadines on our property here in South Carolina. I think they have a slightly milder flavor. How much lemon juice did you use?

Latest posts

Back