DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use any wine tannin and normally Lavlin EC-1118(which is what the recipe calls for). I have made it with different yeast though.

I've done them all with Lalvin 71B-1122 (aka Vintners Harvest MA33)

I'm getting ready to start a batch of blueberry DB and I want to make it a 'hot' batch.(~15% ABV)

Any ideas how much extra sugar to start with, or would it be better to use the normal starting amount and add simple syrup during fermentation to raise the SG?

I've been busy with family this week, but I see James has been fielding questions. Good man!

Now you guys got me thinking. I've have both a concord grape, and a blackberry version clearing. I might have to mix a little...:ib

Actually, I lied. I was not busy with family this week. Quite the contrary. I was with a group of guys who abandon their families every year at Thanksgiving to go ATVing for the week in southern West Virginia. One of our friends lives nearby where we ride. His wife and mother-in-law make a big turkey day feast for us each year. We ride through the woods for a couple of hours from our cabin to his house and eat until we pop! This is our eighth year getting together like this. I bring the ladies some wine for their efforts, so everyone is happy. Good time had by all!

IMG_0695.jpg

Well, I racked my Black Dragon...the blackberry/concord grape... to a carboy yesterday. It went very dry, sg at .994. So of course I had to taste test it....I do like the dry reds, so my taste buds didn't squawk too much. I'll probably back sweeten some, but I'll definitely wait for a while. I really liked the flavor, more concord grape than blackberry at this point. I was thinking a little sweeter and the blackberry would probably come forward a little more. I'm ready to make another quad berry as my first batch is almost gone!!! Where does it all go???? Sounds like a great time, Dave.

Looks like I'm FINALLY going to get my first batch going this week! Yaay! I'll do a 6 gallon of original SP, then rack it into 2-3 gallon carboys. One with fruit, one without. This way I can see/taste the difference.

Also, I'm thinking of using D47 - has anyone tried this? Will it work with DB/SP?

if i make a port wine..i stop it at 1.055 etc, so i have sugar left for sweetness and some of the original flavor, that way I do not need sorbate,are added sugar in the end.

Looks like I'm FINALLY going to get my first batch going this week! Yaay! I'll do a 6 gallon of original SP, then rack it into 2-3 gallon carboys. One with fruit, one without. This way I can see/taste the difference.

Also, I'm thinking of using D47 - has anyone tried this? Will it work with DB/SP?

I have not tried that one, but please do, so you can post the results. I've tried maybe 4-5 different yeasts, and they all bring a unique charater to the wine.

My Black Dragon (blackberries and frozen concord grape juice) has been sitting in the carboy for a couple of weeks now. Thought it was time to taste test to see about back sweetening. Starting sg at 1.090, ending sg at .998. Before I became addicted to making wine, I would buy dry to semi dry red wines. It seems to have more concord grape taste rather than the blackberries. Am thinking about splitting this one in two and adding blackberries to one carboy and leave the other sit for a while, got this idea from the_rayway, thanks for the idea... I added 1/4 tsp simple syrup to 1 cup of the BD and it seemed to fall flat! I've only made one other batch of Dragons' Blood...a quad berry that definitely needed back sweetening...and was very tasty and is almost gone.....

If it seems flat, just let it sit for a while---a few weeks maybe---and see how it is then. This recipe seems to evolve over time as it ages. Concords are a very full-flavored grape, and usually overpower anything they are mixed with. I thin that's why they are poplular for jellies.

It might be hard to bring the blackberry forward, but soaking some blackberries in there is worth a try. You might just end up with a more full-bodied BD, but that would be good in and of itself. :b

Thanks for trying the recipe, fabrictodyefor. Pass it on!

I busted out a bottle I had sitting in the back of my fridge. I had bottled this stuff back in June.
This batch I had under sweetened, 3/4 cup sugar per gallon.
Wow! Was It good. Not to dry but the black berry flavor seemed to come forward

While my wife found it tart, I found my self taking the glass from her and declaring "more for me"!

Thanks Dave !

Good thinking about the PDF format
I am hoping to make some soon near the Holidays

I busted out a bottle I had sitting in the back of my fridge. I had bottled this stuff back in June.
This batch I had under sweetened, 3/4 cup sugar per gallon.
Wow! Was It good. Not to dry but the black berry flavor seemed to come forward

While my wife found it tart, I found my self taking the glass from her and declaring "more for me"!

I reduced my sugar to 3/4 cup per gallon in my DB. Mostly to cut caloric intake over time---trying to help my wife lose some weight. She still loves it, and I like my wines a bit tart, so it's worked out well.

Back