Quantcast

DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Love the conversation, people! You guys are awesome wine makers!
I once crafted a desert wine fortified with brandy based on the DB recipe. “Dragon Port”, I called it. It’s on this web site somewhere. I still have a few bottles from 2013. I’m now inspired to pop one and see how it’s doing. It’s about 22% ABV. 😁
DD, how did you get the ABV that high?.................................................Dizzy

Dragon Port 2013

CheerfulHeart

Reaction score
@KCCam, G259 and Dawg ; Thank you for the help about the cranberries! I am going to use 3 pounds of cranberries and 1/3 of the lime juice. I will definitely let everyone know it turns out.

@KCCam: I too use 2 of the 2 kg bags of Triple Berry Blend from Costco for DB. It is very difficult for me to buy only what is on the shopping list when I am there. That's how I ended up with 6 pounds of cranberries. ;) :h It was one of those "I bet I could make some kind of wine with these!" purchases. LOL My husband lovingly jokes I should not go shopping in Costco unsupervised because I seldom come out of there without some fruit for future wines. 🤣

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
I made a batch of dragons blood, which is very good. I can't wait to make it again with different fruit. I'm in the process of doing up my crab apple wine again and I was thinking of the process of the DB. Is it a good practice to press all the fruit in mesh bags while stirring even if it's not a skeeter pee, or should I just leave the bag in the fermenter while I stir each day?
It’s still good practice. Squeeze/remove bags, stir, replace bags. 👍🏻

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
@dangerdave, yes, I printed that out a few months ago. Dying to make it! It seems to me you won a contest with it too, no? Maybe the Gold Medal Dragon Blood Variant Contest mentioned in your signature?

And you still have a few bottles. WOW. They must be hidden very, very well!
The DB Variation Contest was won by my Sweet Strawberry Tart (strawberry lemon wine). I told them to let me judge, not participate. 🙄😆😎

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
DD, how did you get the ABV that high?.................................................Dizzy
First, used good old EC-1118 and pushed it to its limit though the chaptalization process = 18%. Then I ramped it up by fortifying it with brandy to the desired limit = 22% (maybe a bit higher). 😁