DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the strawberry it was 5 campden tablets. In the DB it was powder
I'm out of ideas. It must be something common to both batches. Maybe it wasn't as clear as you thought when you bottled it? Maybe something went wrong with the Sparkaloid (try Kieselsol/Chitosan, DualFine, SuperKleer). Did you use bentonite? Was it significantly warmer or cooler when you found the cloudy wine? Good news is, I'm sure the wine is fine. Keep it for yourself. Let it settle in the bottle.

I looked at the only common things were the sparkolloid and filtering through the vinbrite. The strawberry sat for probably 4 more weeks than the dragons blood and it was clear for a couple weeks before bottling. I’ve drank one of each and doesn’t effect the flavor at all. I didn’t use Bentonite in either.

I've searched this thread for a DD muscadine recipe... but only found a recipe for triple berry (6lb) and muscadine (8lb) combo ... would the Danger Dave Recipe work with using muscadine only? or would there be an imbalance because of not enough acid or tartness from the berries? I have blackberries and muscadines... and have done blackberry only (it was great!) but was thinking about doing a muscadine only. What do you think? Will it still be balanced? or do I need to combine both blackberries and muscadines.

Thanks for any info/feedback...

I've searched this thread for a DD muscadine recipe... but only found a recipe for triple berry (6lb) and muscadine (8lb) combo ... would the Danger Dave Recipe work with using muscadine only? or would there be an imbalance because of not enough acid or tartness from the berries? I have blackberries and muscadines... and have done blackberry only (it was great!) but was thinking about doing a muscadine only. What do you think? Will it still be balanced? or do I need to combine both blackberries and muscadines.

Thanks for any info/feedback...
I found this:
https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/dangerdaves-dragon-blood-wine.41825/post-711454
And I think @hounddawg and @Val-the-Brew-Gal could probably give you some ideas.

Thanks @KCCam, if I read it correctly in the link you provided, @MickeyB, just "substituted double the muscadines (12 lbs) for berry blend and added 1 tsp of acid" and went with the recipe. And he indicated it was great.... I am assuming that it's acid blend he added... if this sounds right, I have the muscadines in the freezer and will start it on the weekend. Other comments welcomed and appreciated @hounddawg @Val-the-Brew-Gal This is really a great group to interact with. I sincerely appreciate it.

my only advice is to get a cheap PH meter and some 4.1 solution to make sure you're meter is in the ballpark, something like blueberry and it'll be stringent to say the least, the best i can figure DDDB is made from juices to get a quick drinker, the muscadines will work quite well just use pectic enzyme, and you'll need to let anything that's from fruits or berries, more time to clear, where as using juices cuts down on the time required, since a juice don't have near as many particles in suspension as you get from berries and fruits,
Dawg

Thanks @KCCam, if I read it correctly in the link you provided, @MickeyB, just "substituted double the muscadines (12 lbs) for berry blend and added 1 tsp of acid" and went with the recipe. And he indicated it was great.... I am assuming that it's acid blend he added... if this sounds right, I have the muscadines in the freezer and will start it on the weekend. Other comments welcomed and appreciated @hounddawg @Val-the-Brew-Gal This is really a great group to interact with. I sincerely appreciate it.

Hi! I've made Dragon Blood in about a million combinations. I make grape only versions all the time. Most often I don't even know what types of grapes they are as I'm just given them by friends and family who have grapevines in their yards. One of our favorites though is the version I make with straight Concords...it is SO good. I also make lots of grape and fruit combination batches including quad berry, huckleberry, raspberry and others. I loosely call them a Moscato but honestly that's just my designation to indicate that it included grapes.

As for adding acid blend, I've never done that. I just follow the DB recipe and substitute whatever fruit or grapes I have on hand. I do always use 12 lbs of fruit though instead of the 6 lbs suggested.

Anyway, these are just my opinions and experiences. The only wines I make other than DB are Island Mist and 6 week Winexpert kits. So you can see I certainly don't have a discriminating palate by any means...I just make what I like 😅

And don’t forget, DB is the ultimate recipe to make something your own. This is my Saskatoon Berry DB with a little over 9 lbs of berries. I should have put it a clear glass because it is so beautiful to look at. Almost a shame to drink it.

No, that’s a lie. I don’t mind drinking it at all! :d Lol.
A0A57FF3-DD18-403E-BD1C-244DECA40D08.jpeg

And don’t forget, DB is the ultimate recipe to make something your own. This is my Saskatoon Berry DB with a little over 9 lbs of berries. I should have put it a clear glass because it is so beautiful to look at. Almost a shame to drink it.

No, that’s a lie. I don’t mind drinking it at all! :d Lol.
View attachment 64754
now that's a sweet polish,,,
Dawg

Skoal! ... How about a picture? I knows you can do 'em.
tomorrow, i've finished off my stemless stainless steel 18 oz wine glass, and all my bottles are green, got into that habit by setting back wines, i got into the habit of filtering everything, um you do any pear, pineapple or banana, and since my vac system , is set up on a splitter valve, so a flip of a lever takes you from racking to bottling, nothing to set up, except for dropping in either a 1 micron or 5 micron filters, 1-whites, 5-reds, and yes both sides have filters, 2 complete systems, 1 aspirator pump, will post tomorrow just for you, @KCCam,,,, night world
Dawg

Latest posts

Back