DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weights are a great idea, but not for me. Do what works for you. Since we’re on the topic, I use cheap ladies nylon stockings for my fruit bags. Full figure, knee high. Buy them by the box from Walmart. Tie them off, drop them in, squeeze them carefully, and toss them when they’re done.

Great conversation wine makers!

The weights are a great idea, but not for me. Do what works for you. Since we’re on the topic, I use cheap ladies nylon stockings for my fruit bags. Full figure, knee high. Buy them by the box from Walmart. Tie them off, drop them in, squeeze them carefully, and toss them when they’re done.

Haha I would be concerned about all the cheap ladies from Walmart wandering around looking for their tights. Tossing them might be problematic and not so easy. Now I understand why you are known as Danger Dave.

Last edited:
Hi all! Previous lurker that felt the obligation to join and thank Dave for a great recipe. Am new to winemaking, and though the DB is batch #6, will be the first one bottled Saturday. Was looking for something quick while the others plod along and DB fit the bill. Other than using D47 (since I had it), followed the recipe for a six gallon batch to a t and went exactly as billed without a hitch.

Curious whether anyone has tried a lemon/muscadine batch? Have tons and thought about trying it.

Thanks Dave, and everyone else who contributed to this thread! Have read every page multiple times and enjoyed every moment...

Do you guys with the AIO pump use the 1 micron filter to filter DB?

* Update. Talked with Steve and he confirmed 1 micron for Dragons blood. Just for future reference.

Last edited:

So Ive been entertaining the idea for days about using ladies stockings. My closest store is like 45 mins to buy fruit bags anyway, so it would be handy as I can get them at walmart 7 mins away. Plus easy cleanup. I got 50lbs of blueberries today and 12lbs of papays and so I need bags.

My hesitation is that nylons aren't food grade and so are there chemicals and who knows what else left on the nylons that will get into the wine? Did you find any research on this? I mean alcohol is a decent solvent for those sort of things.

Was a little gun shy on the lemon/muscadine, so decided to try a single gallon batch first. Looks like it’ll be over pretty quick, as the sg has gone from 1.102 to .996 in 72 hrs.. Pitched the EC-1118 this time. Beautiful, bright red color at the moment. Can’t wait to sample it!

So Ive been entertaining the idea for days about using ladies stockings. My closest store is like 45 mins to buy fruit bags anyway, so it would be handy as I can get them at walmart 7 mins away. Plus easy cleanup. I got 50lbs of blueberries today and 12lbs of papays and so I need bags.

My hesitation is that nylons aren't food grade and so are there chemicals and who knows what else left on the nylons that will get into the wine? Did you find any research on this? I mean alcohol is a decent solvent for those sort of things.

I've used nothing but nylons in all batches over year with no ill effects. I only use neutral colors to limit the amount of dyes.

I've used nothing but nylons in all batches over year with no ill effects. I only use neutral colors to limit the amount of dyes.
I use them but I boil them first. That helps remove dye and sanitizes.
I double stuff,one into the other. Squize my friend squize. No worries.

I use them but I boil them first. That helps remove dye and sanitizes.
I double stuff,one into the other. Squize my friend squize. No worries.
I soak in mine in "one step" to sanitize them before using.

Last edited:
Was a little gun shy on the lemon/muscadine, so decided to try a single gallon batch first. Looks like it’ll be over pretty quick, as the sg has gone from 1.102 to .996 in 72 hrs.. Pitched the EC-1118 this time. Beautiful, bright red color at the moment. Can’t wait to sample it!
Don't let those Muscadine grapes go to waste.
I have vines. My very first wine adventure was muscadine Wine. It's a year old and getting better.
I recommend the use of grapefruit zest in the secondary (one grapefruit,) with a cup of dried currants.
And leave the juice on the skins for two days..then strain the must through double stuffed knee high full figured hose back in the primary bucket (adds o2) tye off and let ride in the primary squize and remove...finish...enjoy after 6 mo.at least.

Don't let those Muscadine grapes go to waste.
I have vines. My very first wine adventure was muscadine Wine. It's a year old and getting better.
I recommend the use of grapefruit zest in the secondary (one grapefruit,) with a cup of dried currants.
And leave the juice on the skins for two days..then strain the must through double stuffed knee high full figured hose back in the primary bucket (adds o2) tye off and let ride in the primary squize and remove...finish...enjoy after 6 mo.at least.

Been packing them into the freezer for jelly and wine, and love to reach in there and grab one frozen for a snack.

Sounds like an excellent idea, sugar...will try! The sg on this batch is at .990 tonight, while another heavy fruit batch is still bubbling away in secondary. Pitched Red Star Classique in it and pulled the skins at around 1.030 when I racked it to secondary. Such fun and so many possibilities.

Looking forward to racking my split batch of DB this weekend. The straight blueberry version keeps tempting me to pull it straight out of the carboy before bottling!

Been packing them into the freezer for jelly and wine, and love to reach in there and grab one frozen for a snack.

Sounds like an excellent idea, sugar...will try! The sg on this batch is at .990 tonight, while another heavy fruit batch is still bubbling away in secondary. Pitched Red Star Classique in it and pulled the skins at around 1.030 when I racked it to secondary. Such fun and so many possibilities.
Don't forget the zest..it really gives a vitality depth to the wine. Personal taste is simi- sweet. Enhances the flavors.

Looking forward to racking my split batch of DB this weekend. The straight blueberry version keeps tempting me to pull it straight out of the carboy before bottling!
I have a 6 gallon batch of blueberry wine going at the moment and Im with you, it looks quite delicious.

It didn't occur to me to just juice my fruit. I hate messing with it anyway. Next round Im going to just try juicing the fruit and then Ill either heat the rest of the pulp in some water and add to the mix or Ill toss it in a bag and let it set for a day and take it out, just so I can get some color from the skin.

That said my big issue is stirring. I just don't like to wash a spoon, sanatize it and mess with it twice a day. But I figured if I snap the lid on the bucket and take the air lock out, I can hold my finger over the air lock hole and give the bucket a hearty shack/rock back and forth and that gets my buy when Im in a hurry.

I believe The open air stir, produces a fuller wine. The O2 does its Job better.
And think about it.. you can look at your creation daily... you are making something that is a first.
Don't forget the notes.
You may want to make it again.

I believe The open air stir, produces a fuller wine. The O2 does its Job better.
And think about it.. you can look at your creation daily... you are making something that is a first.
Don't forget the notes.
You may want to make it again.
Yeah when I plan stuff I make notes, but I wind up with a lot of fruit that is just going to go bad and so its random. Like sometimes I don't even eat that kind of fruit. So like with blueberry I take notes, but Ive got a pear nectarine wine going. I have no idea how many pears or nectarines are in there, I mean 7.1 Lbs combined, but Im going to keep winding up with random amounts of random fruit left.

But thats ok, In time Ill learn how to combine random things and come out with good wine from seasonal fruit.

I think stirring in Oxygen probably does help, but Ive got 4 kids, ranging ages 2 to 11 and when they are all around and Im trying to get stuff done, its like getting it shaken is all I can do. I work 7 days a week, 365 days a year from the time I get up till the time I go to bed. I only take breaks to spend time with family. So wine making is really just shunted in when I can manage the time to get it done. Maybe in 20 years when they are all out of the house Ill have enough time to do it as a proper hobby. But till then I do on a low priority basis as most everything else in my life I rank higher priority. So I do what can, learn and see what I get. If its drinkable Im happy, if I learn and improve with time, Im happy.

I don't see any issue with random amount of mixed fruit until you discover you really like or do not like the ratio. Or think it might be better with another but cant recall if it had more "this" than "that" or the other way around.
If i was short the fruit i knew i needed to make a proven product i would rather by more than continue with a maybe.

Back