DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by dangerdave, Nov 9, 2013.

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Monty Knapp

    Monty Knapp Member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2018
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    Just bottled a batch of DB that is all blackberry. Went with 1 cup sugar per gallon, which is a little sweeter than I like, but friends love it that way.
    Also, this time I added 3 tbsp of glycerin (to 3 gallons) to improve body. Improved the mouthfeel, but added to the sweetness. Next time I think I'll use just 2.5 cups sugar per 3 gallons.
    Compared this to the "Quad Berry" version and the blackberry is noticeably deeper in color.
    20180422_140052-1-1.jpg 20180422_140036-1.jpg
     
    willie and wildhair like this.
  2. wildhair

    wildhair Member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2016
    Messages:
    316
    Likes Received:
    148
    Just bottled up my first batch of nearly-messed up Dragon's Blood. Turned out pretty good! Since I backsweetened w/ berry juice conc. & white grape juice conc (to add some body and flavor) - it didn't need any extra sweetening for me. But I had to sweeten it up a bit more for my wife. So the white label is mine, the colored label is her's. I also bottled up some Apple for her.

    P1020053.JPG P1020054.JPG P1020052.JPG
     
    willie likes this.
  3. ringmany

    ringmany Junior

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2018
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi everyone,

    I've started creating my first batch. I've just finished my fermentation stage and degassed the wine. I drank a small sample before adding my finings and it's incredibly sour. Gave a few people a sample and their cheeks swelled with the taste of sourness. It wasn't that pleasant, didn't taste fruity either. I'm uncertain exactly what I've done wrong, or if it will simply develop over time.

    I had to convert everything to measurements such as grams and ounces. Added the equiveleant of 48 ounches of concentrated lemon juice, making it very acidic, it was fizzing even after fermentation completed. The gravity is currently 0.994.

    Looking online, the sourness can be caused by too much acidic, too much tannin, or bacteria infection. I believe everything has been thrououghly sterlised, every time I interacted with the brew. There was a lot of acid in the 48 ounces of lemon juice ofc. Added 1tsp of the wine tannin.

    Do you believe it will get better over time, or is the batch ruined? How did yours taste at this stage? If it's ruined, I'd rather toss the lot and start again rather than wait a few weeks to complete and waist more resources.


    Thanks.
     
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  4. Monty Knapp

    Monty Knapp Member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2018
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    There may be nothing wrong with your wine. This wine is meant to be back sweetened. Once it is, the fruit flavor comes out. And don't assume that because it's so sour it needs a lot of sugar. It may not. Sweeten with 1/2 or 3/4 cups of sugar per gallon when it is time. Then taste and add more if you think it needs it.
     
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. Monty Knapp

    Monty Knapp Member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2018
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    If it's still fizzing, it's probably still fermenting. Mine usually reaches a specific gravity of 0.988.
     
  6. wildhair

    wildhair Member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2016
    Messages:
    316
    Likes Received:
    148
    Did you test the ph or Total Acidity (TA) ? I had problems with my first batch of DB as well - It was too acidic and had very little flavor and body - sort of watery. I posted my solutions to the acidity and the flavor issues here -
    https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/my-first-batch-of-dragons-blood.64861/ Post #11 & 12.

    I used calcium carbonate to reduce the acidity and then backsweetened with Old Orchard Berry Blend Juice concentrate (4 cans) and 2 cans of Welche's White Grape juice concentrate. It gave it more flavor, more body and took care of the acidity.

    I have yet to toss a wine - I believe you learn more from your failures than your successes. I would recommend siphoning out a gallon ( or 4 liters) and make your tests on that. If you can fix it, then just scale everything up for the rest of the batch.
    Good luck.
     
    Jal5 likes this.

Share This Page