DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need some advice,, I racked primary to the secondary in step 4 and added all the chems, then noticed that I was suppose to let it sit for a week before adding sugar in step 5, Didn't see that until after I added the sugar to step 4 as well.
Is this going to cause any problems?

Need some advice,, I racked primary to the secondary in step 4 and added all the chems, then noticed that I was suppose to let it sit for a week before adding sugar in step 5, Didn't see that until after I added the sugar to step 4 as well.
Don't know, but at this point what i'd do is wait and see if it clears. If it does, rack it per step 5, sample it and add more sugar if needed, then let it sit a week - basically proceed with step 5 after it clears w/o adding more sugar unless needed.

By "thin" I mean watery, like you can tell what flavor they are, but it's not a lot of flavor, and the whole batches tasted very watery and had no substance/body to them. As mentioned, this is my first time using real fruit over concentrates.

I made my first batch of DB earlier this year with the 4 berry blend of frozen fruit and had the same issue with it tasting too thin and watery for me. So I used frozen concentrated berry juice to backsweeten - it was almost the same mix of strawberry, raspberry, blackberry. Worked out great.
Next time I make it - twice the fruit and 1/2 the water, and I'll backsweeten with the same berry blend.

wildhair I like that approach. I have not tested mine since before backsweetening. I dropped the sorbate into the primary and mixed 6 cups sugar with 3 cups water and put that in the secondary. I then racked as much as I could from the primary into the secondary. I did not purposely degas (but splashed a little and swirled) and have been seeing bubbles for at least a week (hope it's just co2 instead of re-ferment)... It's still the dark cloudy pink color in the picture I previously posted. It hasn't seemed to start clearing yet.

I just bottled 4+ more bottles from my "extra gallon" of DB the one that I tried to backsweeten with grape juice concentrate without stabilizing the wine first, with resulting additional fermentation. It tastes great but is a much stronger alcohol level than the original quadberry DB that I started out with! I think it has more body from the additional grape juice and mouthfeel. I am calling this one Bella Rosso +++ to differentiate it from the rest of the bottles.
I think the next batch of DB I will experiment with adding grape juice to the entire batch and see how we like that, along with a small increase in the original SG to boost up the alcohol level.

It is fun to tweak this recipe to our tastes.
Joe

I think the next batch of DB I will experiment with adding grape juice to the entire batch and see how we like that, along with a small increase in the original SG to boost up the alcohol level.

I think either a can or 2 of Welches White Grape frozen concentrate OR a couple boxes of golden raisins in the primary would help the body and feel.

Ok, I've got a little update on my first batch of DB. All came out clear and looks like a nice blush in color. Very successful run, started SG at 1.120 finished SG .990.
However, It's a little on the sweet side for our taste. It didn't taste that sweet when I backsweetened on step 4.
I have 6 gallons that I know over time is going to get sweeter.
So my friends, what can i use to cut the sweetness?

I'll be watching for more experienced winemakers to reply, but in the meantime -
1. Throw a party - don't let it sit around long enough to get sweeter.
2. Give it to people that like sweet wine. My wife would take a few bottles for sure!
3. Chalk it up to experience, and use the bottles to back-sweeten future batches of DB or to blend with/sweeten other wines.

If you don't like those ideas - then I would do some experimenting. Pour a couple 4 oz or 100 ml glasses (or whatever quantity you want). Start by adding very small measured amounts - (grams or fractional teaspons)
1. Add a little tartaric and/or citric acid or lemon juice?
2. Possibly a bit more tannin as well - that might give it a drier finish.
Do it small, measured quantities so you can "up-scale" to a gallon.

When I backsweeten, I start with 1 oz of wine and add 1/8 t of simple syrup. If it's too sweet - I add 1 more oz of wine. Not sweet enough? add 1/8 t more or until my wife says "that's good".

1/8 t simple syrup : 1 oz. wine ~ equals ~ 1/3 cup : 1 gallon.

There are no doubt better answers and probably additives I don't know about, so...........

Last edited:
The recipe called for 2-6 cups of sugar, so I added 4 cups and wished it well.
Guess I should have dtartst with 1 cuo.

I never add straight sugar to sweeten - it can cause an almost volcanic type reaction. Go with simple syrup to backsweeten (2 cups sugar to 1 cup water - heat to boiling and let it cool)

And I always sweeten to MY taste (or my wife's taste) - regardless what the recipe says - everyone's taste buds are different. Experiment with small amounts of additives like I mentioned above - I think you may be able to make it more to you liking. good luck.
(I'm still waiting for smarter people to chime in) :h

OK, I think I have improved it.
I added 1 1/2 tsp of Tannins and 1 tsp Acid Blend and a cup of RealLime juice.
Seems to have cut it nicely.
I will let it sit overnight and check it tomorrow.
Fingers crossed

If it meets your approval, you should let it settle for at least a couple weeks and clear.

My DB went clowdy after adding the Lime juice last night. Should I hit it with Sparkolid or peptic enzyme for Potasium sorbaite or campden tablets?

I suspected it would. You should have already added the Pot. Sorbate and Campden tablets, correct? Don't do that again. Give it a bit of time to settle out - couple weeks to a month and it should clear again. I try to avoid adding clearing agents (especially the SAME clearing agent) more than once, but if it's still cloudy after a month, and you don't want to wait any longer - I would go with a 2-part clearing agent like Super Kleer (or similar) or maybe just some bentonite. Pectic enzyme would only help if it it's a pectic haze - which it 99% isn't (assuming it was clear BEFORE adding the lime juice). Be patient, tho - it will likely clear on it's own.

I think all the really smart winemakers have taken the week off. LOL

Last edited:
Yes, I have add the Potassium Metabisulfite, Potassium Sorbate, & Sparkolloid 2 weeks ago.
Was super clear, then I added the RealLime juice and the clowdyness came in.
I will just put it on the back shelf and wait another week and see what happens.
Thanks

I went to Costco yesterday with my wife. She thinks I am addicted to making wine now since I had to stop and price, you guessed it, cost of sugar in bulk and of course triple berry and quad berry fruit packs there! Both were at a good price so the next DB I make will be with Costco ingredients.
Joe

Yes, I have add the Potassium Metabisulfite, Potassium Sorbate, & Sparkolloid 2 weeks ago.
Was super clear, then I added the RealLime juice and the clowdyness came in.
I will just put it on the back shelf and wait another week and see what happens.
Thanks

Might want to give it at least 2 weeks or so. Keep the airlock in.

If the 3-gal Q was for me - I make about 10 - 15 or different wines each year, most in 2 - 5 gal batches. A 3 gal batch of DB is just about right for me. Twice the fruit & 1/2 the water would make it about 4# of fruit per gal - which would give more body and fullness and is about the ratio I use for most of my fresh fruit wines.
But who knows - my wife seems to like the Dragon's Blood (tho I did have to add some extra syrup to her carboy.) - so I may make a bigger batch next time.

Back