Dandelion ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koda_ky

Reaction score
Hi
I started some dandelion wine today, and put everything in primary and then realized that I had no energizer. Will that make a difference? the recipe I have calls for it. but I have seen others that didn't. My recipe is

7 cups dandelion petals
1 lb light raisins
1 gal hot water
2 lb sugar
3 tsp acid blend
1/4 tsp Tannin
1/2 tsp energizer
1 campden crushed
1 pkg Yeast

It isnt absolutely necessary to have energizer but it does help the yeast get to a bigger and strong colony when well fed.

I dont see pectic enzyme in the recipe, you really should include this in evry wine not made from a kit as it will rid your wine of pectic haze that could occur and also help extract more color and flavor from whatever you are fermenting. Yeast nutrient and or energizer can really help a fermentation as it feeds the yeast with nutrients so that they dont stress out and cause off flavors.

Listen to the man.........

Indeed add pectic enzyme. You might get a pectic haze from
the added raisins. Pectic enzymes help prevent that.

Next treat the raisins well. At least read the packaging.
They may be sulphite treated.
Rinse them well, then soak them overnight in water
so they will soften up and can be chopped more easily.
Look here for the full details:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/11/rozijnen-raisins.html

I never use energizer myself, but it would not hurt.

Luc

Thanks

Thanks for the reply..
I did soak the raisins and I did add 1/2 tsp pectin enzyme and I added the yeast just now after sitting for 24 hours. Now I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Thanks again
Koda

What was your starting sg? Everything else looks good though then.

Should acid be add blindly; I mean without testing? I noticed that many Dandelion wine recipes call for acid bland addition but should it really be add just without knowing first? What are the purpose(s) of the acid blend addition?

Normally when you make a wine you measure the acidity of the must and adjust accordingly.

But when making flower wines you can add acid to the desired level without testing because flowers themselves do not have any acid.

Most recipes also call for 1 or two lemons. But the acid that they add is minimal like I described in my article about replacing lemons by citric acid.

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/03/citroensap-lemon-juice.html

Luc

I have been wanting to try this forever. I think this year I'm going to do it. I am thankful for all the advice here.

Latest posts

Back