Dandelion wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luc

Dutch Winemaker
Reaction score
The dandelions will blossom over here in the next few
weeks. In fact I have seen some already blossoming.

Last year I made dandelion wine and from what I have tasted until now it turned out very well.
It has to age at least 1 year so it is getting ready now.
It will be a great wine for this summer. However I want to age some bottles for longer period to see how it turns out.

As I want to have stock next year also I am going to make again at least 25 liter this year.

As my recipe is rather lengthy I posted it on my web-log:

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/02/paardenbloemenwijn-dandelion-wine.html

I can recommend it.

Luc

thanks for posting the recipe Luc...I've never tried dandelion wine and I've been meaning to. Good to hear it turned out well.

Last monday I picked 150 grams already.

Tuesday it was raining, yesterday we had a meeting at my work so I was late, and today bad weather again.
The next days are predicted to be cold and wet, so picking has to wait some more.

Thank god they keep well in the freezer.

Luc

Dandelions! we still have a foot of snow on the ground in upstate NY. Maybe next month I might be able to see green grass again!! But I do plan on trying to make a small batch of dandelion wine this year. I am new to this so I am trying small batches (4L) to see if it is something I like. So far all of my large batches of wine have been kits, which so far seem to be turning out pretty good.

Luc, sorry to hear about your experience with the dandelion wine. Thanks for sharing because in learning from others we learn for ourselves. I was cleaning my wine room today and had to get rid of 10 gallons of a 2005 Zinfandel. It had H2S, which I didn't correct in time. If I weren't in need of the 2 carboys it would still be sitting there. It's so hard to simply pour wine down the drain.

I too am sorry to hear about this experience. I spent 3 days picking dandelions and separating the flowers from the stems to have enough flowers for a 5 Gal batch already this spring so I know how much work it is. My fingers were black with the dandelion juice for over a week after this. I really hope it turns out good because it was a ton of work and yes I used sulfite right off the bat to protect the must. My recipe came from Jack Keller's website and he suggests this for every wine.

Back