Dandelion Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Junior
Reaction score
Decided to make Dandelion wine this year. ONLY one gallon. YIKES, it takes a LOT of flower heads which took hours to pick. Then I sat for hours separating the petals from the green backing. NIce to sit after all the stooping and bending. Good time to think.

Just racked into a glass gallon jug. I have not put any additives into the wine. What is the best way to get it to clear? I have some Keterisol can I use just that? OR will leaving it sit for months eventually clear it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I did sample a small amount and it is strong yet tasty.

Thank you in advance for the wisdom of more experienced winemakers.

I think you are talking about a white cloud in the dandelion wine. My guess is that this is oils extracted from the pollen since I also have had a yellow sheen in the neck of the jug with dandelion. . . . I bottle with some cloud, I give up.
9AFEA651-885B-4867-A9EB-EA81C71F8CDD.jpeg
bentonite did not work, low temp did not work, filtration BonVino#3 did not work.
There is only one version which I liked was the ECKrause formula only chemicals/ nothing natural (left) which was clear in a year. The ‘17 has settled out but if I shake it it is still there.

welcome to WMT

I think you are talking about a white cloud in the dandelion wine. My guess is that this is oils extracted from the pollen since I also have had a yellow sheen in the neck of the jug with dandelion. . . . I bottle with some cloud, I give up.
View attachment 74841
bentonite did not work, low temp did not work, filtration BonVino#3 did not work.
There is only one version which I liked was the ECKrause formula only chemicals/ nothing natural (left) which was clear in a year. The ‘17 has settled out but if I shake it it is still there.

welcome to WMT
Well, sounds like I will have to accept the cloud. thanks for the input. How much do you make at a time? Just wondering if anyone every makes 5 gallons at at time and how many blossoms that would take. By the way, thanks for sharing a photo.

from a thread this month called “three pounds of frozen petals”
I do 4 liter primary/ gallon batches, examples:
3 quarts flower heads = 149.8 gm petal
a four liter ferment used 230.2 gm petals
3 quarts of flower heads (505gm) = 279 gm (58.8% yield) of petals
and the last time 4 plastic buckets = 365.7 gm

I grew up making Dandelion Wine with my mom. Didn't know what we were making at first lol. Mom used to pay me and my sister 2 dollars a shopping bag. She made big batches. Two fermentation buckets at a time worth. She used to let it settle in big glass jugs she had, never used carboys as it wasn't how she learned it. She would rack it every couple of weeks once she had it in the jugs. Some batches would clear but most would look more like lemonade. She didn't use anything to clear, just let time do its work. I don't think it affects the taste at all, it is more for visual. Of course, Mom's stuff used to get pretty strong. She used to say it was better mixed with OJ lol

Latest posts

Back