Dandelion wine.... should I stabilize?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishNiX

Reaction score
I just racked my first dandelion into a clean secondary... seems to be clearing nicely. It's been in the secondary for about 3 weeks now. The SG is 0.992 and seems stable there. The wine has a lot of citrus and tastes it, but I think it's decent.

Should I add k-meta and potassium sorbate? The recipe (Winemakers Recipe Handbook) says to rack into a clean secondary @1.000 (a little late) and fit airlock for ~2months. It never says to stabilize.

If ts done fermenting (verified by 3 stable sg's a few days in a row) then yes you should sulfite it and sorbate it also if you plan on sweetening. You can use sorbate even if not sweetening but not a necessity. Sorbate does have antimicrobial properties so I always use both myself.

If ts done fermenting (verified by 3 stable sg's a few days in a row) then yes you should sulfite it and sorbate it also if you plan on sweetening. You can use sorbate even if not sweetening but not a necessity. Sorbate does have antimicrobial properties so I always use both myself.

Thanks Wade. I asked this in my post about Instant Grape as well, but how much NA-Meta or K-Meta should I use for a gallon? The sticky post here says both Potassium Metabisulfate and Sodium Metabisulfate should be used at 1/4-1/8tsp per 6gal. A campden tab is presumably Sodium Metabisulfate (NA-Meta) yet a tab seems to be a lot more than 1/24 -1/48 tsp ;)

Thanks!

A campden ta\blet is either or but you should never use both k and na meta. What that other post should or might have read is use either one of those and potassium sorbate also if sweetening.
1 Campden tablet per gallon is the recommended dosage but thats actually a little bit on the higher side as 3 1/2 campden tablets equals 1/4 tsp of sulfite which is the recommended dosage for a 6 gallon batch. if you only have powder then do this.

For a 1 gallon batch

Take 1/4 teaspoon k-meta and dissolve in 12 ounces of water. Mix thoroughly. Add 2 ounces to your 1 gallon and you have it nailed.

Latest posts

Back