Dandelion Wine Questions...........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I guess I will add the k-meta now with the initial sit?
The CO2 released early in the fermentation acts as a preservative (creates a non oxidizing environment) Once active CO2 release has stopped/slowed the preservative effect goes away.
We find that It is convenient to have meta (which chemically maintains a non oxidizing environment) in place once you transfer to the secondary fermenter with air lock and not watch every day or wonder if CO2 is done.

Whoa - that's a lotta head space! I'd strongly recommend you get it in a smaller jug. You have about 3/4 of a gal. so if you choose to add k-meta, it's got to be a very small amount. I'd recommend using a Campden tablet or slightly less than 1/16 t of k-meta.

when I first did dandelion I pulled petals till bed time and put in the fridge. They appear to be metabolically active since that batch turned into whispy seeds over night, with a somewhat cardboardy taste,,, that batch got tossed. Next day after work, same but went in freezer, again whispy seeds.
Since then have heat treated (pasteurized) every batch before stopping for the day. Fridge or freeze holds it till everything is ready.
I had never thought of freezing dandelions,

I started a 3 gallon batch of dandelion wine a few days ago following the #20 recipe by Jack Keller which worked well for me before. I was pretty excited that I had that much picked and ready to go. Anyway, I placed the flowers in the bag and poured boiling water over them to steep for 3 days. Well, I wasn't going to have time on the 3rd day to start the rest of the recipe so i decided to only allow it to steep 2 days. When I removed the loose lid off the primary after 24 hours, the smell was awful, nothing I have ever smelled in winemaking. Like vomit. I decided to forge ahead with the rest of the recipe and it's fermenting good, smell is still slightly there but not as bad. I didn't add K-meta to the primary in the beginning. So is all lost? Is it possible for the must to spoil or bacteria in the must? Never had this happen before.

A smell like vomit suggests the presence of butyric acid and that is caused by a bacterium that likes low acidity and an anaerobic environment. I am not sure but I would have to suppose that the bacteria may have been on the petals and that you provided them a good environment for them to thrive. Wine makers who make wine from grapes occasionally experience their presence

A smell like vomit suggests the presence of butyric acid and that is caused by a bacterium that likes low acidity and an anaerobic environment. I am not sure but I would have to suppose that the bacteria may have been on the petals and that you provided them a good environment for them to thrive. Wine makers who make wine from grapes occasionally experience their presence
Am I still good or toss it? Certainly doesn't have that strong smell anymore.

Attachments

• 20200507_200203.jpg
    20200507_200203.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
The CO2 released early in the fermentation acts as a preservative (creates a non oxidizing environment) Once active CO2 release has stopped/slowed the preservative effect goes away.
We find that It is convenient to have meta (which chemically maintains a non oxidizing environment) in place once you transfer to the secondary fermenter with air lock and not watch every day or wonder if CO2 is done.
I just racked a blueberry wine into a secondary, and the recipe did not call for any kmeta. What ratio should one use? HELP !

My standard has been to add 25 ppm at racking and usually 50ppm at bottle (sweet needs more). 25 ppm equals 0.1 gram meta per gallon or 0.25 gram meta per liter. My bottle of K meta says 1/8 teaspoon is 100 ppm per gallon.
I just racked a blueberry wine into a secondary, and the recipe did not call for any kmeta. What ratio should one use? HELP !

#20 is my grandfather’s recipe with raisins:b
I started a 3 gallon batch of dandelion wine a few days ago following the #20 recipe by Jack Keller which worked well for me before. I was pretty excited that I had that much picked and ready to go. Anyway, I placed the flowers in the bag and poured boiling water over them to steep for 3 days. Well, I wasn't going to have time on the 3rd day to start the rest of the recipe so i decided to only allow it to steep 2 days. When I removed the loose lid off the primary after 24 hours, the smell was awful, nothing I have ever smelled in winemaking. Like vomit. I decided to forge ahead with the rest of the recipe and it's fermenting good, smell is still slightly there but not as bad. I didn't add K-meta to the primary in the beginning. So is all lost? Is it possible for the must to spoil or bacteria in the must? Never had this happen before.
* do you have the ability to test pH, if so check to see if it is less than 3.5. If it is above, I would add acid blend, mix and recheck. Active fermentation has CO2 which will drop the pH about 0.1 below the starting must.
I am not always happy with lemon’s ability to decrease pH.
* if you can’t test pH does it taste more or less acidic than a white wine? If it is less acidic I would add 1 teaspoon in 3 gallons mix and taste (or pull a little out with a turkey baster and dissolve in that then add back) I close to white wine’s acid let good enough alone.

good luck

Ph
#20 is my grandfather’s recipe with raisins:b

* do you have the ability to test pH, if so check to see if it is less than 3.5. If it is above, I would add acid blend, mix and recheck. Active fermentation has CO2 which will drop the pH about 0.1 below the starting must.
I am not always happy with lemon’s ability to decrease pH.
* if you can’t test pH does it taste more or less acidic than a white wine? If it is less acidic I would add 1 teaspoon in 3 gallons mix and taste (or pull a little out with a turkey baster and dissolve in that then add back) I close to white wine’s acid let good enough alone.

good luck

pH 3.6. I added some acid blend. Still not sure it's going to be salvageable.

Back