Dandelion Time !!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dought it as I did not add any strawberries and have no idea what Im in for as Ive never made this stuff before.

Here;s a pic of my Dandelion wine starting to clear on its own.

It will clear further without any help.
Have patience my friend and you will be rewarded.

Did you already took a sip by chance ??

Luc

It did not change any at all after I posted so no it wasnt going to clear any more unless i put it in a fridge and all my kegs are in there. I have not tried it yet but it doesnt smell that great, doesnt smell bad or anything just not something that would make me say ohhhh, that smells good.

Hey the pic was just taken 2 months ago.
Damn you are all impatient.

Give it time.......

Luc

I am now wondering if we bottled ours too soon. It was alittle cloudy but Jon felt it was done clearing?? Maybe not? It tastes great though. I downed almost a whole bottle while we were working on it. First try so still more to learn. Sorry about impatience Luc it is a curse, Steve
It sat for 3 months before we bottled so what do you think? More time?

Its been done for more like 3 months but you are right, I dont like to see a wine sit much longer then that without clearing, I dont want to bottle it yet but dont like seeing wine stay cloudy that long and 95% of them dont. There really has been no change at all since that pic was taken Luc. I think the heavy stuff just fell out after about a week, basically just the stuff that was floating on top in primary. 3 Other wines that were started after this one was done fermenting cleared by themselves with no problems and are bulk aging as we speak. I also dont really have a lot of room down there and my wife is not as lenient as yours when it comes to wine all over the place. I have those 2 rooms and thats it and more then I originally expected. I also fill up the freezer on here which she lets me do to an extent like lately with all the raspberries and crab apples but that gets old fast 2, When she comes with 15 lbs of sugar I get the hint and start a 6 gallon batch if have enough to like the other day when I finally got home from work at 8:00pm at night after leaving home at 5:00am and went picking for a few hours after work. I was very tired but knew she meant business when she bought wine making stuff for me! :) She puts up with a lot though as I did take over most of the basement between the wine making adwood working shop, that only leaves her with a small area for doing laundry.

I have a feeling she puts up with more than that ha ha. I wanted to bulk age it for 6 months and check it again but Jon wanted to go ahead and bottle. Since he was the one who picked all the flowers he had the call. Again it tasted very good already.

This year batch cleared almost completely within a month in the secondary! I could see clearly through the carboy! Seem that the pectin enzyme worked very well.

Unfortunately I dropped the racking cane upon first transfer and got some lees back on suspension. One more racking I guess... I will bulk age it almost to bottling time.

I'm wondering about making flower wines. I love the delicate flavours you get from them. Has anyone tried other flowers?

So what exactly does a dandelion wine taste like? Because I'm sitting here going "eww, gross."
But secretly I want to try a batch.

I made a rose petal wine 8 months ago.. and I'm leaving those the full year before I open a bottle. Also made dandelion wine but got bored picking the flowers so I 50/50'd it with plums.That came out ok at bottling.. again it's being left the full year before it gets opened.

Am planning on making honeysuckle wine this year.. keeping my eyes open for good sized wild vines.

Allie

Do you have a recipe for honeysuckle wine please? I'd like to give that a try.

makes one gallon.

honeysuckle Wine

2 pints honeysuckle blossom
4 oz raisins
1 lemon
1 orange
3lb sugar
1/4 oz citric acid
one cup of strong black tea
yeast and nutrient
pectic enzyme
campden tablets

Wash the flowers gently and drain them. Deseed and chop raisins, pare the zest from the citrus and squeeze the juice. Place flowers, raisins, zest and juice into primary and add crushed campden tablet. Add a gallon of hot water to the primary, dissolve the sugar into the must, add citric acid and tea. Leave 12 hours and add pectic enzyme. Stand another 12 hours and pitch yeast and nutrient, stir daily for 7 days, strain into secondary.

continue as for any wine..

classification of this wine is a medium white table wine

Allie

I just bottled a 5 gallon batch of Dandelion wine that i started in April. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it tastes without any aging.

Do you all prefer the Dandelion wine dry, semi-dry, semi-sweet or sweet (or any other nomenclature would work too)?

Last year, I felt like I need to sweeten it quite a bit to offset the bitterness I got from not removing the green material. Still, this year taste way less bitter but it's really dry! Maybe I prefer my wines not too dry...?

This is my first year making dandelion wine so cant tell you but mine is ready to taste and clear, just havent gotten around to tasting it yet.

We sweenten it up aquite a bit. It tasted really good at bottling time so after a year it should be awesome. The taste is hard to describe, sort of like mountain dew but not really. Everyone who has tried it was pleasantly surprised.

I can't wait to try Dandelion wine. I have tons of them in the field behind my house. The only instructions I had were from my Euell Gibbons book, so I'm excited to incorporate some of these ideas!

Latest posts

Back