dandelion season

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carmenb

Junior
Reaction score
It's dandelion season in Western Pa and I was wondering if it taste good. I have always heard about it but never tried it. Is it worth the time to make? :ib

Ya Hoo no dandelions in my yard yet and I hope it stays that way!! Anyways I have tasted it before and it was very good. There was a post I think on here in the last week.

I had some 15 yr old dandelion wine last fall. It was great,, and the only wine the guy had ever made.

I didnt like it by itself but sweetened it with honey and that really made a difference.

Carmen,

Have you ever gone to Rustic Acres? They made some and had it for sale. If they still have it you can taste it there. I did not care for it. The first taste was weird but then the second taste wasn't too bad. It is not too bad but I don't care for it.

Plus it is a lot of work.

Carmen,

Have you ever gone to Rustic Acres? They made some and had it for sale. If they still have it you can taste it there. I did not care for it. The first taste was weird but then the second taste wasn't too bad. It is not too bad but I don't care for it.

Plus it is a lot of work.

As if I don't have enough wine projects in the works... The boyfriend says to me tonight "How about dandelion wine?"...

I looked at him, dumbfounded, and said "Are YOU going to go pick all those weeds?". He asked me how many I needed... and I told him "6 or 7 cups per gallon so 40ish cups... and by the way... No green parts, just the yellow parts"

...To which he says "F*&%, it sure is gonna take those kids a long time to pick all those flowers" (referring to his niece [5] and nephew [3])... He then started laughing like a hyena...

:slp

I have a 1 gallon batch fermenting right now. It took FOREVER to get the flowers then remove the petals (that's the only part you use)
Got the recipe from Making Wild Wines and Meads.

My, my you are a lazy bunch of winemakers !!!!

Two years ago I picked a bunch of dandelions and made 30 liter (about 8 gallon) of wine from them. And it spoiled:

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/04/een-ongenode-gast-uninvited-guest.html

That was 4500 flowers down the drain.

But luckily I had enough to make another 30 liter (again 4500 flowers).

So all in all that year I picked 9000 dandelions, just yellows no green, all by myself.
Each day after work an hour or so and two saturdays each a few hours...... :sm

Last year I did only 30 liter...........

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/04/paardenloem-aardbeien-wijn-dandelion.html

What's better as being in the fresh air spending time on your hobby ????

And you are all moaning over just 1 gallon ???? :(

This year planning another 30 liter, trying to create a recipe of dandelions with ginger....

Luc

Last edited:
...What's better as being in the fresh air spending time on your hobby ????

And you are all moaning over just 1 gallon ???? :([/B]

This year planning another 30 liter, trying to create a recipe of dandelions with ginger....

How about actually having that time in the fresh air to relax and spend time drinking your hobby? :p

(In my defense I was moaning over a 6 bal batch :):):) )

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll try it - what do I have to loose?

I really like Dandelion wine. It is hard work and, I find, needs backsweetening but it is well worth the effort if well aged.

I just sat there with scissors cause i plucked them incuding their heads when grabbing them unless you mean clean them in another fashion, in that case I would just run them under hot water before putting them in your primary or fermentation bag. The sulfite solution will do the rest and the boiling water being poured over them.

I tried a few and had troub;e getting the yellow petald free from the green stem quickly.

Latest posts

Back