damn plastic whip

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halifaxwino

new wine enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals

i was degassing my wine with a new plastic whip. once done to my surprise a bunch of plastic strips are floating now in the carboy. i did sanitize. is there anything to worry about? i do filter all my wine.

thanks again
Phil

Yikes Phil, how big are the strips? I am wondering if you could strain it, not filter, into a clean carboy or a fermentation bucket. I sure hope someone else can give you a more concise answer. Where did you get the whip? Call them and tell them what happened, tell them if they cant give you an answer you will be thinking about whipping up on their gass:)

All joking aside, you should be able to strain it and put it back into the carboy will no ill effects. if this was a deffective whip you need to coontact whoever you got it from and express your concern.

My meak suggestions are provided you used it according to the instructions that came with it. Man i hope this can be fixed for you.
Troy

This has been a common problem with the Whip (at least as reported on the various forums). I couldn't get the Whip I bought to do a decent job with my cordless drills (tried at least 2 different ones), so I went back to a Fizz-X.

The feeling is that the plastic is Food Grade and shouldn't cause a problem for the wine.

Steve

I agree, it is the same as having your wine in the primary bucket, I dont know to many people that have had that whip long before it snapped on them, I have the Fizz-X and it is great, WineExpert has come out with a new degasser but it too is made of plastic so I wont be buying it.

Phil - I have had the same problem with these - you have to be careful to not let the drill mandrel touch the plastic cup/washer/bung - the mandrel quickly wears the plastic down and makes a dust; in your case sounds like strips instead. I usually cup the mandrel with my hands to prevent contact. I've also thought of getting a stainless steel washer to put between the drill and the plastic. As others have mentioned, don't worry about the plastic affecting your wine.
.. Doug

hey

thanks guys for the reply, so i suppose i can get away with it but if i was to rack it again now, would i effect the wine, i racked last Tuesday?! i was worried about the metal drill mount about breakage just in case i hit the side walls of the gl*** carboy, but it seems it gets better reviews then that DAMN PLASTIC WHIP

thanks again
Phil

There are 2 kinds of metal 1's one has a guide that sits inside the neck of the carboy and the other doesnt. For the one that doesnt, get yourself an extra silicone multifit bung and insert the stirrer right through it and use the bung as the guide.

Hey Wade, did you do something to cause a-s-s to become ***? I've seen it here three times now since last night, and don't recall seeing it before.

The words were
c-l-a-s-s-i-c
a-s-s-e-t
g-l-a-s-s

If we can't say g-l-a-s-s that will be a pain in the ***.

Steve

I did change the settings to not allow swears but changed it to another way to allow words with the letters in it after you let me know about it yesterday.

Latest posts

Back