Damn gophers!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val-the-Brew-Gal

Magickal Cat Wines
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a home grape grower with just 9 vines around my house that are all less than 3 years old. There is nothing fancy about my "setup"...most of the vines are just intended to grow up my chain link fence. I'm currently struggling with a gopher by one of my vines. I've tried a trap but he somehow manages to either fill the hole without ever tripping it or he simply abandons that tunnel and I find a new mound close by. I just tried a gas "bomb" today and am hoping that finally got the little jerk. If that doesn't work, has anyone had luck with the ultrasonic repellents?

I have 6 in my vineyard. Do they work...... Sort of for a short period of time. They move away from them to a new area, I moved them to the new area. They just keep moving and eventually, I had a dirt pile right next to one. Save your money. They do seem to keep mice out of an area:?

I have 6 in my vineyard. Do they work...... Sort of for a short period of time. They move away from them to a new area, I moved them to the new area. They just keep moving and eventually, I had a dirt pile right next to one. Save your money. They do seem to keep mice out of an area:?

Thanks 😊 I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack right now! 😡

My continuing gopher saga...

I tried a sulfur bomb to kill the little S.O.B.'s which did absolutely no good. I then got creative and hollowed out a carrot, filled it with poison pellets and struck it down one of the runways. I'm pretty sure that that must have gotten
one since the hole has not been refilled. And then we FINALLY caught one of them in a trap on a different runway. I'm hoping that takes care of my problem but I'll be keeping a close eye on my vines!

My continuing gopher saga...

I tried a sulfur bomb to kill the little S.O.B.'s which did absolutely no good. I then got creative and hollowed out a carrot, filled it with poison pellets and struck it down one of the runways. I'm pretty sure that that must have gotten
one since the hole has not been refilled. And then we FINALLY caught one of them in a trap on a different runway. I'm hoping that takes care of my problem but I'll be keeping a close eye on my vines!

Just curious. Where did you dump the body? :cool:

I'm a home grape grower with just 9 vines around my house that are all less than 3 years old. There is nothing fancy about my "setup"...most of the vines are just intended to grow up my chain link fence. I'm currently struggling with a gopher by one of my vines. I've tried a trap but he somehow manages to either fill the hole without ever tripping it or he simply abandons that tunnel and I find a new mound close by. I just tried a gas "bomb" today and am hoping that finally got the little jerk. If that doesn't work, has anyone had luck with the ultrasonic repellents?
Val, I feel your pain! I am beleaguered by groundhogs (not gophers here in Ohio). They are the bane of my existence! The only thing I have found that works is capture in the trap. Last year we collected 12 groundhogs, 5 racoons and 1 very angry cat. For me, the gas bombs and poison never did work. Good luck..........................Dizzy

Thanks, I am going to invest in some rat traps..................................Dizzy

That is how I have whacked them in the past. Be sure to put the trap under a box and weight it with a stone. You don't want to get yours ofr the neighbors dog!

Last edited:
The key ingredient to trapping gophers is to not have anylight showing when your done, or they will clog the trap with dirt. The best way to go about it is to probe for the main run with a small rod. You will know when you hit it, a hollow spot, and it is usually pretty straight between the mounds. It will be between eight inches to a foot deep. Dig down to open the run and set trap in front of the hole. Using a foot trap, place it so the jaws are in line with the run, and not across it. Cover the hole with a board or cardboard and pack dirt around the edge, so no light will enter. Usually have him within a few hours, but check at least twice a day. The best trap to use, IMO, is called a death clutch. It's a wicked looking thing, but you stick it in the hole instead of in front, and kills them quick. Most folks are scared of them, though! Hope that helps some of you!

Back