D254 for mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
Kinda curious to see if anyone has used red wine yeast (D254) in mead before. I know that Scottlabs mentions it's good to use with Chardonnay, but was curious how/if the higher sugar content in honey would present any challenges.

I've never tried D254. The Lalvin page says:

"It has been known to have an alcohol tolerance of up to 16% (v/v) when the fermentation is aerated and the temperature is maintained below 28°C (82°F)."

I've used RC212 and BM 4x4 in cherry mead though. At first the RC212 seemed like it stripped the cherry flavor right out, but now after about 16 months bulk aging it seems to be coming back. The BM4x4 also took a while to age but it gave it a nice rich flavor. I drank it all too soon, I'll probably try another batch with that this year.

I was just curious because one of my friends has been using 1118. He needed some yeast, and the only strain on hand was the D254.

Lavlin mentions notes of butterscotch, hazelnut, and almond, but since I've never made mead before, I wasn't sure if it tasted or behaved differently than the others.

I split my last batch of Concord between V1116 and D47. The D47 was much fruitier than the V1116 tank. That surprised me how much of a difference there was between the two yeasts especially for Concord since those grapes are so flavorful already

I split my last batch of Concord between V1116 and D47. The D47 was much fruitier than the V1116 tank. That surprised me how much of a difference there was between the two yeasts especially for Concord since those grapes are so flavorful already
i'm not a mead drinker nor grape wine drinker, but to yawl that do, it's a mighty fine thing, i'll stick yo my sweet country wines
Dawg

I’m interested in how your concord is turning out with the D47... I have a batch of concord and used EC1118, and a mead I used D47. I’m going to start a BlackBerry and am wondering if D47 may be good for that. This fall I’ll have another concord going and am interested in trying the D47. Actually, I’m wondering about doing a concord / BlackBerry mix...

Latest posts

Back