D254/D80 vs RP15

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried these yeasts? I'm thinking about both options for this years Cab and was hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has used them in the past.

Has anyone tried these yeasts? I'm thinking about both options for this years Cab and was hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has used them in the past.

I've used D254 for reds, but not the others. I very much like the D254 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a strong contender, along with BM 4x4............

Used 254 once and it’s good. Fast and hot. I’m going to try RP15 this year along with another go around with The Avante

Good luck. Looking forward to grape season.

I’ve used the duo on a barrel of Zin and Barbera. Good results with both. Thinking of using this year with Cab Franc. Best wine was the blend of both.

I've used D254 for reds, but not the others. I very much like the D254 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a strong contender, along with BM 4x4............

BM 4x4 has been my go to yeast for the last 3 years and been great. Just want to switch it up this year.

Used 254 once and it’s good. Fast and hot. I’m going to try RP15 this year along with another go around with The Avante

Good luck. Looking forward to grape season.

How was your experience with Avante? Looks very interesting.

I’ve used Avante the past two years and 300 gallons worth of wine. It is a wonder yeast for sure, chugs through anything and never a hint of h2s. It is an attractive alternative, but not sure you get all the flavors you would by other proven yeast or combining multiple yeast whose taste profile work well together.

Tough trade off. If I knew I was going to have to deal with H2S, I’d go Avante for sure. If I knew I wasn’t going to have H2S, I’d use d80/d254. My issue is that the grapes in my area lack nutrients and are prone to H2S, so keeping up and hoping you are giving the yeast the right amount at the right time can be a chore.

Well maybe I'll give both a shot this season. D254/D80 with my Cab/Sangiovese and Avante with my Malbec.

I'm also debating using Lallzyme EX-V for the first time but not sure if it is really necessary... Thoughts? I have never used it in the past.

There are just so many additives it can get a little overboard.

We've been sold on Avante for several seasons now. LOVE it! Solid performer. Very high tolerances to heat and alcohol levels. No H2S! The only change we've made is the addition of Prelude non-sach yeast "before" adding the Avante. Last year we let Prelude go for about 2-4 brix before adding Avante. This year, we're going to let the Prelude go deeper (5-8 brix) to see if we can maximize its potential.

We love working with the guys at Lodi Wine Labs. Procured most supplies from them as their prices are great.

Going to try enzymes this year with our Cabernet. I want good extraction and I need to ensure we get the max juice (enough to fill a 60-gal barrel) out of the bin of grapes I'm getting.

I just pitched RockPile in with some cab grapes and I'm not impressed at all. Maybe its a bad batch of yeast but its not doing much. Used nutrient and energizer. Used D254 with an identical bucket and it went off without a hitch.

Going to try enzymes this year with our Cabernet. I want good extraction and I need to ensure we get the max juice (enough to fill a 60-gal barrel) out of the bin of grapes I'm getting.
It will be interesting to see the difference in astringency, color and depth of flavor compared to the last Cab. The last time we used enzymes on the (Zin 2014?), I was not a fan. It took a few years in the bottle for the tannins to die down.

Back