D254 and D80 yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone explain the process of using the combination of D254 yeast and D80 yeast. I usually make 60 gallon batches in a barrel and ferment the entire batch together usually with 212.

Can someone explain the process of using the combination of D254 yeast and D80 yeast. I usually make 60 gallon batches in a barrel and ferment the entire batch together usually with 212.

Everyone may not do it the same, but when I am using different yeasts on the same grapes, I ferment them in different vessels and keep them apart until after MLF is completed and the wine has been settled and racked a couple of times.

You could also mix them together for a single batch, just check to be sure that neither of them is considered a "killer" yeast and would kill off the other.

Last year we did a split D80/D254 We split the grapes into 2 separate bins, 20 lugs 100 gallons 50 gallons in each, 15 Zin 3 Barbera, 2 Alicante & 1/2 Muscat. We fermented separately the D80 was slightly faster and hotter than the D254. We also did a Cab/Sangiovese (15Lugs) 40 gallons (20/20)the same way, I attached a PDF of my notes,We got to .99 in 7 days and we pressed. We combined the two at press and performed MLF combined, which completed successfully in 2 weeks. This was the best tasting wine we produced in 20 years. It was a bit more work, but well worth the results.IMG_20181001_131706280.jpg
I attached a PDF of my notes, I'm always looking for suggestions to improve my results if anyone has any advice to me fire away. Thanks hope this helps you. Mike..

Attachments

• 2018 Wine Notes.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back