Cynthiana Second Run

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im hoping to get some fruit off of my nortons next year. Im excited to see how it comes out

I have about 6 gallons of Norton skins and wanted to do a second run. Could someone give me some advise on how much I should make?
I like to use way more skin in the 2nd run than in the first. Like 3/1. This is not scientific at all, but I'll move three batches of the same size container into one, fill up the bucket/trash can with water and add enough sugar to get to %12-13. Punching the cap becomes a serious workout!

Please PM me about 2nd runs - there are alot of different opinions out there.

But u do not want to press on the initial 1st run as it will take away alot from the 2nd pressing

In my early days, I used to make second runs all the time. I got tired of how thin and bland they were. I also hated that all I could seem to taste was the tartaric acid I added. So, for years I did not bother with it.

Then my nephew wanted to give it a try. He took the remains of 1 ton of grapes (hard pack skins) out of the press, screened them to remove any seeds, and added just 10 gallons of 20 brix/acidulated (ta .60gpl) /nutrient infused water. In the end, it looked like it was just enough water to "rehydrate" the skins. The must was so thick that we had to stir the must with a shovel.

It turned out pretty tannic and bitter, but surprisingly drinkable, or at least more drinkable than the batches I have made in the past. It would in no way compare to the "real thing", but hey, for $20 of ingredients my nephew got about 1.5 cases of wine. $1.11 is a perfect price for a kid just out of college.

In my early days, I used to make second runs all the time. I got tired of how thin and bland they were. I also hated that all I could seem to taste was the tartaric acid I added. So, for years I did not bother with it.

Then my nephew wanted to give it a try. He took the remains of 1 ton of grapes (hard pack skins) out of the press, screened them to remove any seeds, and added just 10 gallons of 20 brix/acidulated (ta .60gpl) /nutrient infused water. In the end, it looked like it was just enough water to "rehydrate" the skins. The must was so thick that we had to stir the must with a shovel.

It turned out pretty tannic and bitter, but surprisingly drinkable, or at least more drinkable than the batches I have made in the past. It would in no way compare to the "real thing", but hey, for $20 of ingredients my nephew got about 1.5 cases of wine. $1.11 is a perfect price for a kid just out of college.

I think I changed my mind for the second run and will pass on it, at least this year. Might try it later.

Booooo @mainshipfred , I still think it would be fun to try.
It's sounding 3-5gal of sugaracid water to your skins from 10'gal yield. A few nutrients with an open carboy ready and that's it. Granted It's not 1 tons worth to 10 gal! , but still sounds like an accepted ratio.
A lighter wine is certainly not a bad thing and would be a nice addition, actually preferred by some of my family.
Read that original post again and re-convince yourself!

Funny you should say.... I pressed today, so I just initiated my sloppy seconds tonight. Whipped up some (as AJ says) sugaracidnutrienttannin water. I used 6+ gallons for an amount of skins that produced about 15 gallons. I think it is already fermenting.

Read that original post again and re-convince yourself![/QUOTE]

Thing is I have 70 gallons either going through MLF or bulk aging. I only have a 3,5 and 6 empty gallon left that I want to keep for racking. The skins are in my freezer so they will keep. I plan to bottle 12 to 17 maybe 23 gallons the end of the month plus fill 2 barrels. After that I may reconsider.

Funny you should say.... I pressed today, so I just initiated my sloppy seconds tonight. Whipped up some (as AJ says) sugaracidnutrienttannin water. I used 6+ gallons for an amount of skins that produced about 15 gallons. I think it is already fermenting.

Forgot what grapes you used. Let me know how the color comes out.

It's relatively free to make so if it doesn't come out very good it's no real lose.

Right but your time is not free. It's not the end of the world if you do it and it's no good. But most of us have been there - a carboy full of subpar wine which you can't bear to dump, but it's not good enough to bottle.

Right but your time is not free. It's not the end of the world if you do it and it's no good. But most of us have been there - a carboy full of subpar wine which you can't bear to dump, but it's not good enough to bottle.

People look at their time in different ways. I've always considered if I'm not losing the opportunity to make money I'm not losing anything, especially if I'm having fun.

My skins were from a batch of Syrah from Horse Heaven Hills. The first-run wine (i.e., "normal" wine) was inky and PURPLE. If I didn't know better, I would have suspected someone slipped some MegaPurple concentrate in there. The second-run batch has pretty good color already! (And it is throwing out a miasma of CO2 already!)

Stressbaby's point is well-taken ("But most of us have been there - a carboy full of subpar wine which you can't bear to dump"). However, *I* have not been there. Some things you have to learn for yourself. One simple reason I decided to go forward is, frankly, just to get one more practice turn at winemaking from grapes. Maybe the second time I press, the "purple typhoon" will have a smaller footprint. Maybe I will learn something that will help for 2018.

Last edited:
Well said Paul. That's exactly how I feel about it too.... but haven't yet. Time is also my biggest foe.
Not just potential $ (which is big) made but also just life. Helping with Math homework and studying for the big social studies test. Guess who's father-in-law needs roof repairs this wknd? And most importantly, making sure not to neglect the woman of the house.
She calls herself a "Wine Widow" (formally Golf Widow) - A term she claims to have coined.
A new batch is a commmitment. I will try 2nd run, but when it's a more ideal time - When the juice is worth the squeeze. And in the meantime following along other's good/bad experiences.

I've done this the last couple of years and again this year. I've used probably 3 or 4 to one Pomice to Sugar/Acid water and finished it with a little black cherry concentrate for flavor and a slight back sweetening. It's light in color and flavor but a nice summery kind of drink. I unknowingly had a glass of my 2015 version last weekend that my mom had opened from her stock at her house, I ended up having a couple of glasses with our BBQ that night!

Mike

If it turns out bad you can always make "wine shine" out of it! Nothing lost!

Update: Wow, it's amazing what starting with a big colony of yeast will do! In 36 hours, the yeastie beasties have chewed up 15 Brix! I started at 1.090 (21.6 Brix), and now it is at 1.026 (6.6 Brix). So far, no off smells (I have kept nutrients up).

Color: I think this is on track to be the 2nd darkest wine I have ever made (with, obviously, the first run of this batch being the darkest). A bit hard to tell due to the sweetness, but the taste is good so far.

As long as you don't press the 1st run or if u do - gently if u are planning on making a 2nd run.

I enjoy a 2nd run - just take the amount you got from the 1st run and divide in 1/2 and add that amount in sugar water according to how much alcohol u desire, according to hydrometer reading

still add fermaid K - no yeast is needed

great for blending - topping off 1st pressing or just drinking it straight.

Then press

I think a 2nd run is always better than throwing out. My experience is at best,at least 1- 3rd. That's still 10 bottles of good wine ( going by ,kit of 30 bottles) That's costing you only time and space.My advice is to give it a try and you will know next time. Otherwise at least as Steve mentioned, use it for topping off

Latest posts

Back