Cuttings from grafted vines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sly22guy

Reaction score
can you take cuttings from grafted vines and start new plants or would they need to be grafted?

You certainly can create new plants that way but you will need to graft onto the resistant rootstock as the new plants will have the roots of the cutting.

What variety you are doing will determine if there is a need or not. If it is vinifera or othery phyloxxera sensitive varieties- yes you need to graft onto a resistant rootstock. If you have a hybrid on a graft- it is optional. Certain rottstocs will give you other desireable attributes, but they aren't always needed. What do you have in mind?

didnt really have any ones in mind. I just got 36 vines some of them are grafted and some are hybrid. I realized that i have more room that i could go double the size in the area i have layed out for the vines so i figured i could just use some of the new shoots next year to start some more vines. guess ill only use the hybrid vines for that though. Thanks for the info though.

Back