Currently making wine from homegrown cab grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thuegli

Junior
Reaction score
I grew about 30lbs of cab grapes this year. Crushed by hand and started fermenting in a sealed bucket. Crushed the evening of the 7th. Started yeast evening of the 8th. Been punching down the cap 2x per day. Fermentation was going strong until this last thursday when it slowed down considerably. I still have the skins in there. Starting brix was 23. Have not measured SG lately. Its bubbling about ever 3 mins now.

I've read so many different methods on when to press. Campden after press etc. My general question is:

Do I need to press the skins asap? I have the very small stems in there too. Or can I wait to press? I've read to press when SG is under 1.03 to 1.01. I've also read you can leave the skins on longer.

Also, do I need to continue punching down the cap?

The wine tastes and smells good for this time in the process.

This is my first time making wine and my first post. Thanks!

I have about 20 vines in my yard that are 3 years old.

Looking forward to joining this forum as I've learned a ton so far!

Thanks!
Todd

You can press now...or not.

Listened to a good podcast yesterday where they interviewed CA winemaker on cabernet strategy. This particular winemaker left the wine on the skins for up to 4 weeks, tasting daily to determine when the tannins softened. The wine "turned" over the course of a day or two, then they pressed 1-2 days later. Not sure my palate is that good.

Thanks. I'm positive my palate is not that good as well. Might just taste daily and cross my fingers!

You can press now...or not.

Listened to a good podcast yesterday where they interviewed CA winemaker on cabernet strategy. This particular winemaker left the wine on the skins for up to 4 weeks, tasting daily to determine when the tannins softened. The wine "turned" over the course of a day or two, then they pressed 1-2 days later. Not sure my palate is that good.

So I ended up pressing at day 32. Although it tasted pretty astringent, it did not overly tannic. Could definitely taste the tannins but not overwhelming by any means.

I tested my ph just now using a hanna ph tester. It came out at 3.7. Using a test strip it appeare between 3.2 & 3.6. Should I adjust downward at all? Have not tested TA yet. It was .9 when I began fermentation.

I just racked from primary bucket to glass carboys. After overnight settling I have about 1" of lees on the bottom. I plan to rack off those lees tomorrow and start MLF. After reading a ton about ph, it has me worried that a ph of 3.7 prior to MLF will leave me with too high a ph after....

I used Starsan to sanitize and although I worried about the foam I closed my eyes and thought "don't fear the foam"!

So I ended up pressing at day 32. Although it tasted pretty astringent, it did not overly tannic. Could definitely taste the tannins but not overwhelming by any means.

I tested my ph just now using a hanna ph tester. It came out at 3.7. Using a test strip it appeare between 3.2 & 3.6. Should I adjust downward at all? Have not tested TA yet. It was .9 when I began fermentation.

I just racked from primary bucket to glass carboys. After overnight settling I have about 1" of lees on the bottom. I plan to rack off those lees tomorrow and start MLF. After reading a ton about ph, it has me worried that a ph of 3.7 prior to MLF will leave me with too high a ph after....

I used Starsan to sanitize and although I worried about the foam I closed my eyes and thought "don't fear the foam"!
It's fine

Also star san foam is safe it won't harm you at all

Latest posts

Back