curiousity on how long to keep wine in carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazoo20

Junior
Reaction score
From my first wine kit it stated 30 days total to completion in which my wine was done 0.0996 in one week. I made one batch with welches grape juice and have another going right now and the results are comparing the same or close, it is only taking under 2 weeks to totally ferment out. Since it totally ferments out i am curious what more leaving it in a carboy for another 2 weeks is going to do ? I had another wine maker tell me if its done fermenting u might as well bottle it. So why does many people leave theres in the carboy for 2 weeks after its done ? Has anyone had a wine really take that long to totally ferment out ?

Please dont be in a rush to bottle your wine! All that will do even if you use a fining agent is leave a lot of sediment in your bottles. Sometimes even if you bulk age it for months it can drop sediment in your carboys, bottling in a few weeks after fermentation is done is a guaranty of sediment in the bottle!!!!

Seems to me I will always get a fine dusting after I let it clear. Sometimes it only takes 2, sometimes 3 months. I try to let it go until it can set for 3 months and I can see nothing on the bottom of carboy.

Don't rush it let it set rember PATIENCE is the main ingredient in wine making, hince the saying " drink no wine before it's time."

I have a peach wine bulk aging that is still dropping sediment after 8 months. Some require much longer than others, but my general rule is atleast 8 months for whites/fruits and over a year for reds.

Listen to JasonH, he is a wise man, as are all who tell you to wait. :b

I leave my wines in the carboy until they have cleared completely or until I have time to bottle.

Each year I make an apple-peach wine made from storebought juice.
This years batch (8 gallon) finished and was bottled within two weeks.
If they do sell apple-peach juice in your local stores I recommend it highly.

However I had an apple from fresh apples wine that almost took a year to clear.

The wine tells you when to bottle :ib

Luc

Kazoo- as stated above the extra time is for clearing. The wine is usually NOT ready to bottle just because fermentation is complete. Sediment in your bottles will add a bitter off-taste to your wine, not to mention it looks bad.

I just checked my blackberry and found that I have a very light dusting on the bottom that will lift off when disturbed and settle back down within moments after the carboy is set to rest. This is after 10.5 months. I plan to bottle this about May 15th and will not be racking before. The plan is to be as gentle as I can till I get real close to the bottom and the rest with the light sediment will be fridged and mouth tested real soon. I have not used any clearing agents in my wine so far and normally I let bulk age for 11 months, some due to my inexperience, worked so far and the previous bottled wine has no deposits. Still learning this great hobby, after two years, and happy with the results and continue to learn more here. Good luck on your adventure!

Since it totally ferments out i am curious what more leaving it in a carboy for another 2 weeks is going to do ?
If it is truely all fermented out and you get the same sg reading three days in a row it is time to move on. Rack the wine to a new carboy, add k-meta and sorbate if your sweetening it and let it sit another 30 days and rack it off those fine lees.

I had another wine maker tell me if its done fermenting u might as well bottle it.
Find another mentor. The wine should be stabilized and aged a bit. Unless your making jailhouse wine and drinking it within the next month I would not be doing that.

So why does many people leave theres in the carboy for 2 weeks after its done ?
For insurance and it doesn't hurt anything.

Has anyone had a wine really take that long to totally ferment out ?

Absolutely. I have some wine right now going on there forth week and still not completed.

Be patient and ask questions and we'll be happy to walk you through the processes. So what's the next wine?

Can I keep my wine in a carboy for over a year before bottling?

yes, make sure you keep your sulfite levels up. If you do not have the means to test sulfite, 1/4 tsp for 6g every 3 months is a good rule of thumb.

What is the point in adding sulfite? Does that keep the wine from oxidizing?

How should I add sulfite to the carboy - I'm afraid to stir/blend it at this stage.
I would rack to another carboy and add the sulfite to the carboy right before I racked into it Why are you afraid to stir/blend and what stage are you at?

If you are concerned about disturbing sediment at the bottom, and don't want to rack just yet, you can thief a little wine from the carboy, mix your sulfite into it, and carefully pour it back into the carboy. Just make sure that it's completely dissolved before you pour it back in.

Latest posts

Back