curious

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan

Junior
Reaction score
:confused: 3 weeks into first attempt at making wine. Fermentation went well. Hydrometer reading just below 1.000 and racked wine. Added 5 campton tablets ( crushed ) and the sorbate. Stirred very well and degassed. Added sparkeloid (sp) that was added to boiling water for 5 min. Fermentation stopped but resumed 4 hrs later. Should I add more campton and sorbate? Also very little change clearing. Wine smells good but should I still have fermentation occuring? Any help is deeply appreciated.

Was fermentation done when you added these ingredients? Your fermentation should be done before you add anything and you can check this by taking a sg eading a few days in a row to make sure the sg is not going down still. You will have to wait until fermentation is finished and stir it all back up and degass it if needed which it probably wll.

Thanks Wade. At that point should I again add campton and sorbate and dose again with sparkeloid, waite for a few days and then rack again? By the way sorry for the questions but I'm really new to this process.

It's been my experence when I add sorbate before fermation stops, it will continue for a few more days. From what I've learned, sobate doesn't kill the active yeast but stops it from reproducing. So yours will stop now on its own without additional sorbate.

Dave

You sholdnt have to add anything but will have to stir it up again to let the clearing agent do its thing. Dont be sorry for asking questions, thats what forums are for. Im just getting ready to start distilling and joined another forum for this and am asking all sorts of questions that seem not to get answered as fast as wine forums even though there is a ton of people doing this.

Back