CS / Merlot Rose'

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 38734

Reaction score
Bottled 4 cases of Rose' a couple weeks ago - a bit earlier than usual due to family gatherings & requests. It turned out great and won't last through the summer unless I ration it out, not even close.

This was produced with nothing added - no SO2, commercial yeast, nutrients, clearing, fining, filtering, etc.

Saw this the other day:

https://www.costcoconnection.com/co...cle.action?articleId=1649957#articleId1649957
https://www.mashed.com/335128/everything-you-need-to-know-about-costcos-new-k-vine-wines/
Make your wines your way, share with family and friends, and enjoy the hell out of them!

Cheers!

thumbnail-85.jpeg

Thanks, it turned out great. Sent 1/2 case to relatives in Pennsville NJ yesterday for their Easter party.

Yep, we've been buying these locally since forever just out of habit - but those natural corks look great I'll order some - thanks!

The Rosé looks awesome! How did you manage MLF without additions? Did you just let it go naturally? I have my first winemaking attempt, a red blend, progressing in the cellar/crawl space with no additions that appears to have started MLF naturally/spontaneously a week ago as things have warmed up. I was super happy about that but may try a white this year if I get enough grapes from my vineyard and I’m not sure if I will want it to go through MLF or not. I understand how to prevent it with enzymes and SO2 but I’m interested in what you did here.

Thank you! It did turn out good. Unlike reds, I never manage MLF with Rose's - no bacteria to induce nor enzymes to prevent. Whatever happens happens. Last years Rose' did go through MLF and ended up pretty smooth and with a darker color due to 12 hours on skins. This vintage did not - and has a nice crisp green apple flavor that goes well with refrigeration and out door parties.

No sir - I've been making Rose' this way for many years without problem. But, if it happens it happens!

Bottled 4 cases of Rose' a couple weeks ago - a bit earlier than usual due to family gatherings & requests. It turned out great and won't last through the summer unless I ration it out, not even close.

This was produced with nothing added - no SO2, commercial yeast, nutrients, clearing, fining, filtering, etc.

Saw this the other day:

https://www.costcoconnection.com/co...cle.action?articleId=1649957#articleId1649957
https://www.mashed.com/335128/everything-you-need-to-know-about-costcos-new-k-vine-wines/
Make your wines your way, share with family and friends, and enjoy the hell out of them!

Cheers!

View attachment 72649
Hi There, I plan on making a Sangiovese Rose this year from wild yeast. Would you mind telling me how long you had to leave on skins and did you press or run off please?

Thanks

Hi There, I plan on making a Sangiovese Rose this year from wild yeast. Would you mind telling me how long you had to leave on skins and did you press or run off please?

Thanks
Hi there to you,

That Rose spent no time on the skins. It was harvested and pressed the same morning.

All the best to you and good luck!

Hi there to you,

That Rose spent no time on the skins. It was harvested and pressed the same morning.

All the best to you and good luck!
Thank you for the update.

Just before I receive my grapes on Friday, would you mind confirming that the juice fermented without any intervention when being pressed immediately, and I assume you transferred straight into demijohn/carboy with an airlock?

Many thanks in advance.

Thank you for the update.

Just before I receive my grapes on Friday, would you mind confirming that the juice fermented without any intervention when being pressed immediately, and I assume you transferred straight into demijohn/carboy with an airlock?

Many thanks in advance.

Yes. This Rose was made with native fermentation, no SO2 or any other additives, and no fining or filtration.

After press it was fermented in a 7 gallon fermentation bucket with a loose lid or towel.

When it was dry (or almost dry, I don't remember), it was xfr'd into a carboy.

I would personally pitch commercial yeast unless I was familiar with the vineyard. Different strokes.

The pictures below show fermentation from day 1 thru about day 4 or 5 (not sure exactly).

Hope this helps, good luck!

thumbnail-23.jpeg

thumbnail-24.jpeg

thumbnail-25.jpeg

Yes. This Rose was made with native fermentation, no SO2 or any other additives, and no fining or filtration.

After press it was fermented in a 7 gallon fermentation bucket with a loose lid or towel.

I would personally pitch commercial yeast unless I was familiar with the vineyard. Different strokes.

The pictures below show fermentation from day 1 thru about day 4 or 5 (not sure exactly).

View attachment 78691

View attachment 78690

View attachment 78689
Brilliant. Thanks again for your help

View attachment 78691

View attachment 78690

View attachment 78689
Final question 🤗 ... I might follow your advice and use commercial yeast so have purchased some Lalvin Qa23. Do I need to do something to kill off the wild yeast first and if so how should I do this please?

Thanks

Brilliant. Thanks again for your help

I might follow your advice and use commercial yeast so have purchased some Lalvin Qa23. Do I need to do something to kill off the wild yeast first and if so how should I do this please?
No need to do anything. A good commercial yeast (I used QA23 for 2020 Sauvignon Blanc) will crowd out competitors. While you can dose the juice with K-meta, it's not necessary.

Back