Crusher/destemmer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone run into this problem?
Not yet that I know of but then again you’ve not outlined the problem as far as I can see my friend. But I am interested to know what problem you’re having as I’m picking up 540 Lbs of grapes tomorrow and am going to run them through my newly acquired C/D for the first time.

I'd look to see if the output shaft from the motor spins. If yes, then the problem is in the gear train. If no, then something is jammed or stuck.

Also, unplug it and see if you can turn over by hand. If not, something is jammed in the gears/rollers or a bad shaft bearing. These are simple machines, it should be easy to diagnose.

In the video it sounds like the motor is energized but not spinning. So my guess is it's just jammed or gummed up

Yes, she turns by hand, but not easily,
Right now I have my wife hand picking grapes off of 24 boxes grapes😀

It looks like the motor and destemmer paddle shaft turn are trying to turn but I didn't see much motion on the crush rollers or feed auger. I would remove the belts and chains and see which one offers the most resistance. Also, see if the motor turns under its own power with nothing attached. If all shafts are free but motor doesn't run with no load, it could be a capacitor.

Not yet that I know of but then again you’ve not outlined the problem as far as I can see my friend. But I am interested to know what problem you’re having as I’m picking up 540 Lbs of grapes tomorrow and am going to run them through my newly acquired C/D for the first time.
Jim you’re going to love that C/D. I just did 4 lugs in less than 5 mins a few days ago. I spent more time cleaning than anything else. Enjoy!!!

How was it cleaned after the last use? Does it have a must pump? I own a Zambelli crusher/destemmer with a must pump. This year, as I was crushing/destemming some severely raisined Petite Sirah, my unit stopped working (twice) and sounded like yours in the video. Mine was clogged at the must pump level. I had to remove the discharge hose and clean out the pump with spray from a hose.

If yours wasn't cleaned properly last time, the sugars and raw material might be dried somewhere in the unit and in the pump. Before I took everything apart, especially since you can move it by hand, I would douse with water and pay special attention to the must pump if there is one.

Good luck...

Last edited:
How was it cleaned after the last use? Does it have a must pump? I own a Zambelli crusher/destemmer with a must pump. This year, as I was crushing/destemming some severely raisined Petite Sirah, my unit stopped working (twice) and sounded like yours in the video. Mine was clogged at the must pump level. I had to remove the discharge hose and clean out the pump with spray from a hose.

If yours wasn't cleaned properly last time, the sugars and raw material might be dried somewhere in the unit and in the pump. Before I took everything apart, especially since you can move it by hand, I would douse with water and pay special attention to the must pump if there is one.

Good luck...
Thanks,
Mine doesn’t have a pump,
so typically after I use it I take it apart and wash it down with OxiClean.
Well, it’s over now, my wife and I stripped 24 cases of grapes by hand so now I can take it apart and see what the problem is at my leisure

Thanks,
Mine doesn’t have a pump,
so typically after I use it I take it apart and wash it down with OxiClean.
Well, it’s over now, my wife and I stripped 24 cases of grapes by hand so now I can take it apart and see what the problem is at my leisure
May you be rewarded with amazing wine! Sorry that happened!

Latest posts

Back