Crusher / destemmer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a manual crusher / de-stemmer in the next week.
I'm seeing painted & stainless. Some that are adjustable & some that don't mention it in the add.

Prices are ranging from 300-1000 in what I've seen so far.

Can i get some advice on what to look for & what to stay away from ?

Thanks,
Brian

I have a painted manual crusher and de-stemmer with a stand, 10 years old. Have be very happy with it, works well and is easy to clean with the garden hose. Just couldn't justify, in my mind, the cost difference for stainless. I would look for free shiping. Check for used.

I have a manual crusher (got it for $50 off craigslist) and chicken wire stretched on a frame for under it to catch the stems. This works great for a few hundred pounds.

That's not a bad idea.
I almost pulled the trigger on this one today. I'll need to think about it.

image.jpg

I'm wondering now if I can modify a Wesson Apple crusher to work for me. I like the idea of the chicken wire catching the stems.
I've had the apple crusher for a few years & only used it once. My press has a better crusher built onto it.

Check craigslist, there is a used destemmer for sale just north of you in Columbus.

condition: good
make / manufacturer: meareli
motorized grape destemmer for sale by owner. Comes with a hand crank, but has a motor to make destemming. Also comes with a wooden stand with wheels for easy transportation.

If you can swing the added $$ get the powered one. I have the motorized model of the Marchisio posted above. It's worth it IMO

First year I crushed and destemmed 400 lbs by hand. Second year I bought a fruit crusher off eBay and destemmed by hand, ~600lbs. Third year I made a destemer to put under the fruit crusher,see wine maker mag. ~500 lbs. Last year, #7, I bought a lovely all stainless motorized crusher destemmer. My logic, if I'm up to 1000 lbs, have grown and made wine for 7 years, don't see a reason to quit, and had the spare cash, why wait? I'm not getting any younger. My wife's advice, if you plan to stick with it, buy the best you can. Gotta love her!

I went today to look at the $500 one listed above. He came down to $350. It's in the back of my truck & headed for the wine room now. [emoji106]
It's older & the paint is a little rough, but I'll have it sanded & fresh food grade paint on it soon.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1474063638.152337.jpg

This thing looks like it's been rode hard & put away wet. But it's solid.

Some elbow grease & paint, it'll be good as new.

That looks like a really nice machine.

Best winemakijg days ahead!

-jb

Latest posts

Back