RJ Spagnols cru select vs international

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StBlGT

Reaction score
So i am in the process of making some more kits....probably 5 or 6 or so. I have the cc showcase old vine zin and en primeur super tuscan ordered, but looking at another 3 or 4 to make while they age out.

For the "cheaper kits" i was looking at the cru international line. I was looking at the syrah with dried skins and cab sauv w/ dried skins and then was second guessing. I didn't want a watery wine because it is only a 12L kit.

My question is....how would you compare a 12L with grape skins kit (cru international) vs a 16L (cru select kit) without grape skins. Are they that much different? Will the select have more body? Which is overall better?

Thanks. I just want some info on both lines before i purchase.

Last edited:
So i am in the process of making some more kits....probably 5 or 6 or so. I have the cc showcase old vine zin and en primeur super tuscan ordered, but looking at another 3 or 4 to make while they age out.

For the "cheaper kits" i was looking at the cru international line. I was looking at the syrah with dried skins and cab sauv w/ dried skins and then was second guessing. I didn't want a watery wine because it is only a 12L kit.

My question is....how would you compare a 12L with grape skins kit (cru international) vs a 16L (cru select kit) without grape skins. Are they that much different? Will the select have more body? Which is overall better?

Thanks. I just want some info on both lines before i purchase.

Generally, the higher end kits, with bigger juice bags, skins and oak will make the bigger, better reds. If you're still looking for another, I did the CC Showcase Amarone, along with the top line Amarone kits from WE and MM, the Showcase is a stud for sure.

So would you think a 16l with no skins or a 12l with skins the better overall finished quality?

I was looking at the amarone....lots of great reviews. But, undecided still on that one.

I have done several of the International/Sterling type kits and a couple of the Cru Select kits. For me, I prefer the Cru Select. I believe the flavors are better. The International/Sterling type kits just seem to try to become something they are not.

Thanks for the responses. I think i am leaning towards the cru select.

For those who made these select kits, how long is the aging process? Will they be drinkable by 8 or 9 months?

Skin kits seem to simply make better wine.

You could buy some skins and add them to any kit.

With wine kits, you get what you pay for . I would buy the Cru Select kits.

Thanks for the responses. I think i am leaning towards the cru select.

For those who made these select kits, how long is the aging process? Will they be drinkable by 8 or 9 months?
The aging process will vary by the style of wine. Whites will be ready for sure in that 8-9 month range. Big reds will be pretty good then but better if you wait 12-18 months. As with all things wine, your taste buds will tell you when you have reached a sweet spot.

Latest posts

Back