Cru Coffee Dessert Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fpac will take up most of the room,so. Go ahead with your plan,rack and add the fpac you should be okay.sometime. The simplest way is the best way you won't affect the outcome.Atrick I did on the first kit was to add 3 coffee beans to each bottle,sort of like a worm. In the tequila,have fun with this one,don:t worry.

Sounds good, thanks Joe. Hoping it turns out well.

Yeahhhh, I like the coffee bean/worm idea. I may do that to a few of them.

If you do the bean thing which by the way is a excellent idea and a firms the coffee in the Port,make sure your labels state that beads are in there.When this is over and in the bottle and if you can let it sit for 8 mos. To a year it gets really Good.y you actually start to taste a background of chocolate,even better.

If you do the bean thing which by the way is a excellent idea and a firms the coffee in the Port,make sure your labels state that beads are in there.When this is over and in the bottle and if you can let it sit for 8 mos. To a year it gets really Good.y you actually start to taste a background of chocolate,even better.��

Ok, will do. No worries on keeping it for awhile. I plan on keeping some of them 3-5 yrs. And since I roast my own coffee beans, they will be very fresh beans.
I probably won't even open the first bottle until the 6 month mark and then every 3-6 mos. after.

3 to 5 years to long this is not your normal port,this is for early drinking ,it should peak fast .What wS your Abv.at the finis

3 to 5 years to long this is not your normal port,this is for early drinking ,it should peak fast .What wS your Abv.at the finis

ABV finished around 16% I believe.

SG 1.120
FG .998

:HBIt's going to be a good port not to sweet not to dry, and not in the traditional sense either,a port unto itself. sounds good to me .

Last edited:
:HBIt's going to be a good port not to sweet not to dry, and not in the traditional sense either,a port unto itself. sounds good to me .

Ok Joe, here is how things played out.
Racked over to a 3 gal. carboy. Appeared visually to be way short. I started to add coffee fpac and was able to get 80% of it in there, so my "sight" was off. I put the remaining 20% into a bottle and in the fridge for later use, if needed.
So, my 3 gal. carboy is very full right now. I will let it sit for 4 weeks'ish, then bottle. This should give it some time to meld together.
Being my first 3 gal. dessert wine kit, I will take my ups and downs on this one and learn from it.
I did add 1 Tbsp. tannin and 1 Tbsp. instant coffee when racked the first time Sunday. Hopefully I gained something from it, since it was only in there two days before racking last night again.

Do you think I will need to add more kmeta before bottling?

My personal option is yes do as instructed,remember I stated to take the bas out enough to add the fpac,the fpac makes the difference,so what you do now is when you ready to bottle pour the 3gallons and the rest of the fpac into a bucket stir and bottle all in one movement,DONE,your finish product should sit for at least 6 to Mos. To a year,ready for competition��perfect for a gift giving treat in a 375 bottle also.Stay the course

Last edited:
My personal option is yes do as instructed,remember I stated to take the bas out enough to add the fpac,the fpac makes the difference,so what you do now is when you ready to bottle pour the 3gallons and the rest of the fpac into a bucket stir and bottle all in one movement,DONE,your finish product should sit for at least 6 to Mos. To a year,ready for competition��perfect for a gift giving treat in a 375 bottle also.Stay the course��

Sounds good. Yes, I remember you stating to remove enough but I thought I was short to begin with so I didn't. Live and learn for next time.

Ok, I will check taste in a month, before bottling, and decided on adding the rest of fpac.

What about adding more kmeta before bottling? Will it need it or was the dose I added already good enough?

If you make this kit as directed chemically,theres no problem , never made it another Way,as many tweaks as I have done over these 20 year's of wine making,I've never cheated on the chemical end.Im just not that smart.STAY THE COURSE.

If you make this kit as directed chemically,theres no problem , never made it another Way,as many tweaks as I have done over these 20 year's of wine making,I've never cheated on the chemical end.Im just not that smart.STAY THE COURSE.

Sounds good, thanks again for all the help.

You made this post sound so "good tasting" that I tried to buy this kit. It is not available anywhere. Was this a limited edition kit?

You made this post sound so "good tasting" that I tried to buy this kit. It is not available anywhere. Was this a limited edition kit?

I think most of the dessert wine kits are, I can't quote that though.
I got mine through Home Brew Ohio on Amazon.

They are. Seasonal Kit's and are a limited time frameI have done 1. coffee kit ever other year,this gives the stock a chance to rest and mature.WinrForFuns will turn out just fine.��

Last edited:
Thanks, I will keep my eyes open for the next, if ever, release.

Check some of the sponsor's sites on here and also on Amazon. I found a Selection Speciale Chocolate Raspberry Port on Amazon.

Just do a Google search of "dessert wine kits" and you will see quite a few listings. You will have to see if the different companies have them in stock.

@wineforfun I have made the coffee port three times, using nearly the same method as Joe/you have described. However I top up with commercial tawny port. I also top up with tawny port, and then rack to a primary to add the f-pac, so that I get every drop out of the kit. Additionally, I bulk-age with heavy toast oak.

@wineforfun I have made the coffee port three times, using nearly the same method as Joe/you have described. However I top up with commercial tawny port. I also top up with tawny port, and then rack to a primary to add the f-pac, so that I get every drop out of the kit. Additionally, I bulk-age with heavy toast oak.

Thanks for the tips.
I may have to rack to primary, before bottling, to get the rest of the fpac in there. Right now I am approx. 300ml shy of using all the fpac. It is sitting in the fridge in a bottle.

Latest posts

Back