Crown Gall

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgmarty

Beattie Estates
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm Back! I have been in California finishing my career and now am back in my vines in Utah. I have a big problem with crown gall in my Baco's. I've lost at least half of them and the bacteria seems to be creeping into the vineyard. I know only what I read on the internet, and that's not good. Has anyone else dealt with this? Looks like my options are to rip up the vines, burn everything and let the soil sit for two years before planting again. The Seyval growing next to them are doing fine, I pray they stay that way.

Attachments

• five.png
    five.png
    746.6 KB · Views: 10
  • four.png
    four.png
    730.2 KB · Views: 10
  • One.png
    One.png
    755.1 KB · Views: 11
  • seven.png
    seven.png
    660.4 KB · Views: 11
  • six.png
    six.png
    753.9 KB · Views: 11
  • three.png
    three.png
    726 KB · Views: 10
  • two.png
    two.png
    708.9 KB · Views: 10
I am not sure about the soil protocol that you propose but it is my understanding that some nurseries steam or use some other method on there grafts to prevent crown gall. might this be a better solution?

Some varietals are very susceptible to crown gall (eg chambourcin). I've had frequent issues with it on chambourcin but not others next to them.

I assume the bacteria is endemic in the environment. The key is to prevent any trunk damage that lets it in. This means preventing rabbits from nibbling the bark, winter temperature stress from cracking the bark, and no mechanical damage from weed removal. I've even painted white wash on the trunks with moderate success.

Back